Offline dkabab

So, ive been asked to review this new gadget for work, so i thought i would just upload some pics and info about it, incase anyone is remotely interested.... selling technology, i get to play with new toys first... so to start off.....

btw, not trying to sell anything, couldnt care less... just thought it would make for some good discussion

this is the i-river story, like the kindle its an e-book reader. unlike the kindle, it will read any ebook, so pdf, microsoft word, and txt files.... it will also play mp3's..... probably a bit too big to put in your pocket... but good on the plane/train etc...

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

absolutely hate it, the idea of it

One of the best moments with the kids is taking the time to sit and read a story with them... letting them turn the pages as they follow the story, learning to read with you, recognising when you try to short cut a bit here and there....

this product encourages poor parenting IMO.

Offline CortinaD

I understand ebooks from a connivence perspective, but i love a nice big "physical" textbook so from that aspect, I wouldn't buy one.

My eyes cannot adapt to the electronic form and I find I will miss bits etc.

Offline dkabab

i dont think big colourful story books for kids will be lost from this, its main audience are the people who read a lot of books, and travel who dont want to lug 3-4 books with them, much easier to carry this with you.

there are more coming, sony has one coming out, and of course the apple ipad...

Offline dkabab

My eyes cannot adapt to the electronic form and I find I will miss bits etc.

its actually not an LCD screen.... its e-ink or something like that... its not backlit, and looks very similar to reading from paper....

i'd never buy one, but hey, ive never bought a book to read..... errrr.... ever.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

yeah, I get the point of it.

but I don't want it to be part of my family life.

I've JUST had to get a new phone... any idea how hard it is to get one WITHOUT a camera these days?

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I don't know this product but I bought my beloved a Kindle for Christmas.  She loves reading but is a technophobe so I thought I'd end up with it back with me in no time.  Turns out she loves it so I had to buy another one for me.  Not perfect but great for travelling - easier than a book on a plane.

I agree with Phil about reading to the kids out of book.  There is no substitute. 

The i-river looks like a cheap Kindle knock off.  I'm sure it has its advantages but it loses out on looks.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

ive never bought a book to read..... errrr.... ever.

You are missing out on one of life's great pleasures.  As Ruth Rendell said, "Some say life is the thing, but I prefer reading". :)

Offline dkabab

its not that i dont like reading books, i just cant keep concentrated and read the same line twice and get annoyed.
that said, i can read for hours about something im interested in, like cars.... go figure

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
your job is to review gadgets now?
sounds like a cool job to me