Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I have had good success with a European pre paid vodafone sim. I stick in my second iPhone and tether my devices to it.

Don't know any local carriers that offer what I would consider a remotely normal data rate for roaming.

Same goes for US, I use a prepaid AT&T when there.

By local I mean a Sim in the country or region I'm visiting that I can use for data.  Sorry, I wasn't clear.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

Yes, buying a sim in the country you visit gives local rate services just like you get here normally.

You just need an unlocked phone, and some basic ID.

I use my main phone on roaming with data off, and if i'm away for more than a few days, I take my spare phone for sim swapping.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Sorry, I'm slow. You say no, but then say you can get a local SIM for data?

Sorry Mark, misinterpretation. I read local as in local to our home country not to the country commuted to.

I have bought a foreign (local) sim for data and I have an unlocked dongle as well. Both sim cards are recharged each time I'm OS. Data, from memory you can get about 3gb for about 10euro - I can check on this

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thanks guys. I don't know why I'm so interested - I've cancelled my October trip to focus on year 12 support for #1 daughter.  :doh:

Offline theintelligent1

• Vodka is Just Unfinished Gin

• Drives: Miss Daisy
I have bought a foreign (local) sim for data and I have an unlocked dongle as well. Both sim cards are recharged each time I'm OS. Data, from memory you can get about 3gb for about 10euro - I can check on this

:thumbsup: Yes to this, local sim is the way to go for data.......calling home or other countries while travelling from where you are stick to viber or skype.........

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Thanks guys. I don't know why I'm so interested - I've cancelled my October trip to focus on year 12 support for #1 daughter.  :doh:
ouch! Tassie in Nov as compo??
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

ouch! Tassie in Nov as compo??

Absolutely!  That's just the start of course.  :)

Offline RS

• Drives: AMG

Thats a pity, will have to find someone else's company for a drink in Paris... maybe 2  ;)

All the best for your daughter with her year 12
Convict by heritage, Guilty by Choice

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Thats a pity, will have to find someone else's company for a drink in Paris... maybe 2  ;)

All the best for your daughter with her year 12

I was probably a bit hasty.  I reckon I can move things around a bit and still get there.   :thumbsup:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
I was probably a bit hasty.  I reckon I can move things around a bit and still get there.   :thumbsup:

Sending her to Switzerland for finishing school to be a laaaaadeeeee huh?

Then using that as the excuse for an alpine drive.

Nice.
C'mon, do it!