Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Anyone use them?

They're not big here - yet - but will be eventually.

Just saw the pics kebabs posted of the 458 with barcodes on it and I thought what a great idea it would be to have QR codes in the watermark of all your pics!

Online hydie

Anyone use them?

They're not big here - yet - but will be eventually.

Just saw the pics kebabs posted of the 458 with barcodes on it and I thought what a great idea it would be to have QR codes in the watermark of all your pics!
I don't use them personally, and have been waiting to see them used widely...but it just hasn't happened.

I know some real estate agents are starting to put them on for sale signs out the front of the properties, in front of their windows, on pamphlets and other promotional items.

Yellow Pages was also trying to push them out aswell.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Funny this came up, was cooking tonight and on the label of the meat tray, there was a barcode. I think I'll have to see what it comes up with.

Offline dkabab

they look cool, ive been thinking of a new watermark.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Hey I'm trying to add a QR code to my latest photos, but I only want it to be say 20-30 pixels in size.  I haven't done much research on them, and all the generators seem to make codexes that are like, well, massive. 

I've tried resizing a couple times but it seems to mess it up and become unreadable - here's the standard size:

Offline a.taylor

By my logic you should be able to make it 1/5 the size (27 pixels). At the moment one square is five pixels so reduce that to 1 pixel per point and no information should be lost.

The only question then is if a mobile camera can focus on it to read it. Zoomed to 50% in paint mine had no problem reading your existing but that is still pretty large. 25% no joy. but 1/5 might work better because there wouldnt be any grey in between.

Another point. Size is proportional to information so shorter text/URL could mean a smaller QR code - I dont know if there is a minimum size for these things.

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
I think they are limited at the moment particularly given they have only 1 function (a link, an sms etc)
With today's smart phones and mobile devices, it's almost quicker to type a URL than to fire up the QR App, line up the camera and wait for it to do its thing.

They are still new and have a bit of 'ooh, ahh - what is that' kudos - but the fact that you need to know what they are so as to have a QR reader app on the phone and know what to do makes it a bit silly. Great for geeky treasure hunts and 'surprise' links... but not much else right now.

Offline a.taylor

27 x 27 can work. One google found for me (attached) works no wories.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I'm not concerned about the coolness factor of whatever in the now - it's more about tagging things for the future as it seems like it will be an enduring feature - got some other ideas too.

27 x 27 can work. One google found for me (attached) works no wories.

Yep - discovered that.

Offline dkabab

Personally I think the qr codes look crap. But the barcode ala 458 pics we started this thread from looks fantastic. My phone has a barcode scanner app too which works really well.