Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I want to install cameras around my office that I can view at any time through my galaxy S4. What do you guys suggest?
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I want to install cameras around my office that I can view at any time through my galaxy S4. What do you guys suggest?

Most surveillance DVR's can do the remote view.   I have ABUS at home, and some yumcha Jaycar brand at work.  The ABUS dvr is really easy to use where as the jaycar not as easy to use. 

Make sure you get at least one high resolution camera outside and one inside for face/number plate recognition because there's no point in having recorded footage which is blurry unless the person is right in front of the camera.

Offline dkabab

I don't know a whole lot about them, but netgear do a system that records to the cloud or a hdd, and can be accessible from a smartphone app at any time.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

You will see lots of cheap systems advertised that do little more than provide very poor image quality and reduced frame capture rates.
You still have to spend a fair bit to get a decent system. If you want to capture night images you will need IR enhancers ( think that's what they are called) and the more cameras you have the bigger the systems memory requirements. Lots more to it than this as well.
I have very extensive systems at work and find them very useful for staff surveillance as much as the normal crime attracted by drugs and cash. In my experience they won't stop shop stealing, largely because thescum know the legal system won't touch them. They do stop vandalism internal and external and keep the staff honest. They won't stop break ins as the crims  make sure their identity is hidden by goodies and scarves etc.
The local Cops make fairly regular requests for footage of external incidents, brawls, breaking into cars, armed hold up once. Tends to waste a lot of my time when it happens.

I've also noticed that the IP cameras don't last that long anymore. I tend to get 2 or 3 years and then they die and need replacement. I've got 35 cameras and it is expensive and annoying, kind of like lights in your house blowing one after the other.

If you have a huge budget you can now get facial recognition cameras/software that will identify a thief as they enter the store. You build up a data base from ongoing incidents and/or shared data from other businesses. That would be very useful; but still too expensive for average businesses.

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy

I've also noticed that the IP cameras don't last that long anymore. I tend to get 2 or 3 years and then they die and need replacement. I've got 35 cameras and it is expensive and annoying, kind of like lights in your house blowing one after the other.
We have about 10 axis cameras at work, can also use them to turn lighting on and off. I agree with the lifespan reducing, the first ones lasted about 3 years, ive just replaced some of the newer ones that were barely out of warrantee, wish they were as cheap as lights... :(
Trouble is, the crooks wear caps with long peaks and hoodies and the cameras are as good as useless.......sadly the voice of experience. I only have the cameras because the cops wont attend unless you can verify someone is actually there.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
We have about 10 axis cameras at work, can also use them to turn lighting on and off. I agree with the lifespan reducing, the first ones lasted about 3 years, ive just replaced some of the newer ones that were barely out of warrantee, wish they were as cheap as lights... :(
Trouble is, the crooks wear caps with long peaks and hoodies and the cameras are as good as useless.......sadly the voice of experience. I only have the cameras because the cops wont attend unless you can verify someone is actually there.

I forgot to mention that one of the problems with cameras is they are invariably mounted on ceilings and that makes facial recognition difficult and easily disguised with clothing.
There are new small types available that are designed to mount at average chest height that can give much more accurate pictures of offenders. In a retail environment these would mount on the security tag sensor columns at entry/exit doors.

I am thinking of redesigning the entry/exit doors so that you enter an external door into a space separated from the internal area. You then have to look directly into a camera which will then open a second set of doors and let you into the internal area. We operate extended hours and it can get very hairy at night.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

But many times they come earlier to case the place and the dumber ones will forget to change some of their clothing.  So if you have time to go over footage you may have an identifiable face.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I have security cameras and night vision cameras throughout the place that record and are monitored.

What I want, is a camera that I can access with my phone so I can look at my cars when I miss them. And since I can remote start the Lambo from anywhere in the world, I want to play some pranks on Paul as he doesn't know I have that ability :D
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I have security cameras and night vision cameras throughout the place that record and are monitored.

What I want, is a camera that I can access with my phone so I can look at my cars when I miss them. And since I can remote start the Lambo from anywhere in the world, I want to play some pranks on Paul as he doesn't know I have that ability :D

In that case buy the logitech offerings - cheap and easy to set up for smart phone connectivity

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/video-security-systems

Offline 916senna

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Remote controlled battery powered toy
But many times they come earlier to case the place and the dumber ones will forget to change some of their clothing.  So if you have time to go over footage you may have an identifiable face.
That may be the case in retail, and even moreso in pharmacy, but in a factory senario as is mine and i guess Andrie's they arent likely to case the place in the same way. They smash a window or door and run around ripping file cabinets, locked draws etc open looking for cash, cameras and the like. Last time for me was late last year, they did the three factories in a row, didnt care about lights, alarms, cameras or seemingly anything else. Just smash and grab. It cost 20 times as much to repair the damage as replace the few things they nicked. The cameras just recorded the mayhem.
Fwiw, If you want usable images, you need hi definition and no compression. Still frames from video are of little use when they are just a blur. And as 360c said, you need them high and low. I can understand why a medico or pharmacist would spend big on them, the added personal safety aspect. But for factories, the best outcome is deterrent. Trouble is it also makes your place look worthwhile :(