Offline dkabab

The business my missus works for would like to setup a wireless network for customers to use.
they are a coffee shop that does breakfast and lunch, and are in a shopping center.

the objective is to have a free (password protected) wifi setup that customers can use while dining there.

they want to limit the total usage, but not necessarily the bandwidth, to limit users downloading large files etc...

Im not sure if its as easy as setting up a wireless profile and just limiting it via the routers settings, but i am looking through the settings on mine and while i can choke the bandwidth, i cant limit the total downloads per session etc.. or a time limit...

Ideally they would like something like the airport, where you log in on a webpage that over writes whatever you were doing so you can only access it by agreeing to T's and C's

ive had a quick google but a lot of what i found is geek talk... and i just want a simple yes or no, and if no, who do i need to speak to.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You need a "Motel" type setup. There are Router out there that will do this but they are not your run of the mill home use jobs and cost a few $$$$.

It can also be done via a software App that works from a primary computer that hangs off the network. This will look after the billing(not that you will need that) and will bring up a Front page that will have the T&C, credit card entry screen(not that you need that if it's free) and/or a login screen. You can setup a time limit on the session and I think a data limit as well.

I need to talk to my Hotspot guru to find out more info....

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Since no-one reads the terms and conditions, why not just put a data and time limit on each user?

Offline CortinaD

You should limit bandwidth so one guy downloading torrents won't consume it and ruin it for everyone.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline mtarone

Dave if you are happy to do the integration work and OK with open source try this : http://coova.org/ then this would be a cheap solution for them.

Used by lots of hotspots (such as the Virgin lounge I'm in right now).

Fairly simple to setup, I'm happy to give you pointers.