Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

So, believe it or not, I've just started using Skype to call people overseas...can't believe I didn't try this sooner. Anyway, it got me wondering, how come this thing isn't bigger than what it is?? The quality of calls that I make on Skype to an overseas mobile phone is much clearer than on mobile on landline. Bandwidth consumption is not that high at 1mb/min for voice only. It is also way cheaper (eg. AU$0.70/min mobile to o/s mobile vs AU$0.065/min on Skype to o/s mobile. Why isn't this thing HUGE?? :scratchchin:

I can even use Skype via the iPhone 3G but only when a Wireless network is available, and the quality of the call is not as good as if you're on a laptop or desktop.

You also get Video calls which are quite smooth.

Offline dkabab

what kinda hardware/software do you need?

Offline leburpor

• Loves Tom Cruise

what kinda hardware/software do you need?

any headset or headphones/speakers + mic is enough to get going. oh yeah, and a computer ofcourse, with a reasonable internet connection.

just bought a compact headset, Seinhausser IIRC, for when I travel and use my notebook (which has built in camera), and for home and office I use the Logitec Pro 9000 camera with a Logitec Wireless headset.

the software is free.... www.skype.com

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Why isn't this thing HUGE?? :scratchchin:

It isn't already??  I've been using it for years...  business and personal...  where have you been all this time?   ;)