Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
Does anyone know what brand of battery tender the guy was using on the Merc and two Porsche's that caught fire? That would be interesting to know. I have used the C-teks and had no problem but they are a cheap unit. I wondered if it was one of them.

We use a ctek MXS25, does battery recon and when battery is full cuts itself out. Its not cheap but it works
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
i had one of these solar tenders albeit an el cheapo unit - charging a 12 v battery that I used to run the automotive lights in my kids cubby house! (Yes I actually wired the whole setup with switches, a little 12v fan and all!!)

Found that the solar tender just kept on charging and charging with no auto cutoff. Luckily it was at a very slow trickle but the "low maintenance" battery still leaked - fortunately it was outdoors under the cubby house and did not catch fire!

I'd probably stick to the Ctek units - the way I understand it is that for every 4-5 charges positive, it has 1 x discharge to stop the sulphonisation which is the biggest enemy of these batteries.

If you want a more fancy unit, I have a mother of an MPPT charger at my shed charging 24 x 2v deep cycle batteries powered by 5kV of solar panels but I suspect that it'd be overkill for a car battery.
Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
i had one of these solar tenders albeit an el cheapo unit - charging a 12 v battery that I used to run the automotive lights in my kids cubby house! (Yes I actually wired the whole setup with switches, a little 12v fan and all!!)

Found that the solar tender just kept on charging and charging with no auto cutoff. Luckily it was at a very slow trickle but the "low maintenance" battery still leaked - fortunately it was outdoors under the cubby house and did not catch fire!

I'd probably stick to the Ctek units - the way I understand it is that for every 4-5 charges positive, it has 1 x discharge to stop the sulphonisation which is the biggest enemy of these batteries.

If you want a more fancy unit, I have a mother of an MPPT charger at my shed charging 24 x 2v deep cycle batteries powered by 5kV of solar panels but I suspect that it'd be overkill for a car battery.

or use a battery isolator switch, but then if its a new car having to re-programme radio and everything else is a pain….probably why I like OHOS, simple radios
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Does anyone know what brand of battery tender the guy was using on the Merc and two Porsche's that caught fire? That would be interesting to know. I have used the C-teks and had no problem but they are a cheap unit. I wondered if it was one of them.

If an investigation has been finalised there should be a listing on the ACCC website. Haven't seen anything listed for battery tenders yet though.......

Offline VanParos

Tried starting up a couple of cars with batteries which are barely older than 6 months only to find that the batteries are totally flat and the charger does nothing.  verdict: sulfinated batteries

Got me thinking -  are those solar panel battery tenders any good?
Well buddy I have been using these batteries for a while..Surely these batteries are effective but works only in sunshine so you need addition storage or battery backup system..

Really not sure which battery system that guy was using..I am using an expensive one till now..