Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

That would be a 1.5Kw system for that price. Depends on the panels but 8 panels sounds about right for 1.5Kw.

1.5Kws is the sweet spot, that is where you get the best value for money. Around $2.5K

My 2Kw system was $5k so that makes it another $2.5k for 500watts which is a little silly.

I think you're right  :thumbsup:

at LAST!

:cool:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I was told mine would pay for itslef in 30 months at our current usage rates.

Do you know who the supplier is????

30months is pretty good. But that is taking into account the Feed in tariffs. We get screwed here in Vic 'cos it works on a Net usage and not Gross. So you don't get paid for the extra power you make if you use any if it.

I would have said around 60 months to pay off form all the figures I have.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Well, got my first power bill last week since the Solar went on and going by this thread that was well over 12 months ago.

Grand total of $61.25    :tilt:

And I haven't been a Power Nazi either, we have not changed any of our habits. In fact I think we have gone the other way a little. 

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Holy crap $61.25.  How many candles do you go thru a week.  My average bill over the quarter is around $450. 

16 panels went up 3 months ago and the next bill is due this week.  I'm not expecting 61.25 though.

FYI 3kw system.

I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Holy crap $61.25.  How many candles do you go thru a week.  My average bill over the quarter is around $450. 

16 panels went up 3 months ago and the next bill is due this week.  I'm not expecting 61.25 though.

FYI 3kw system.

Yep, that was about my average bill - $450 to $650 a quarter.

I started with 2kw and then added another 2kw late last year so 4kw all up now.

You will find that the 3kw system will give you some good savings but not this time of year. I am guessing that your system would be making about 8kwhs on a good day this time of year??? And if you use very little during the day most of that can be feed back into the Grid.

One billing cycle I feed about 900kwhs into the grid and got paid $600 of it.   :tilt:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Hey mondi, would love to hear how you fair over time.

i did the sums and for my house it will take 11 years to repay itself. which if i factor in halestorms which will likely bugger the panels before that time, and reduced buyback rates dont make it viable for me.

if i could get it installed for say $2k i'd be in, but not at what it costs currently.

:bump:   for looney.......

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111221211324.htm

Paint-On Solar Cells Developed

A team of researchers at the University of Notre Dame has made a major advance toward this vision by creating an inexpensive "solar paint" that uses semiconducting nanoparticles to produce energy.

"We want to do something transformative, to move beyond current silicon-based solar technology," says Prashant Kamat, John A. Zahm Professor of Science in Chemistry and Biochemistry and an investigator in Notre Dame's Center for Nano Science and Technology (NDnano), who leads the research.

"By incorporating power-producing nanoparticles, called quantum dots, into a spreadable compound, we've made a one-coat solar paint that can be applied to any conductive surface without special equipment."

The team's search for the new material, described in the journal ACS Nano, centered on nano-sized particles of titanium dioxide, which were coated with either cadmium sulfide or cadmium selenide. The particles were then suspended in a water-alcohol mixture to create a paste.

When the paste was brushed onto a transparent conducting material and exposed to light, it created electricity.

"The best light-to-energy conversion efficiency we've reached so far is 1 percent, which is well behind the usual 10 to 15 percent efficiency of commercial silicon solar cells," explains Kamat.

"But this paint can be made cheaply and in large quantities. If we can improve the efficiency somewhat, we may be able to make a real difference in meeting energy needs in the future."

"That's why we've christened the new paint, Sun-Believable," he adds.

Kamat and his team also plan to study ways to improve the stability of the new material.

NDnano is one of the leading nanotechnology centers in the world. Its mission is to study and manipulate the properties of materials and devices, as well as their interfaces with living systems, at the nano-scale.

This research was funded by the Department of Energy's Office of Basic Energy Sciences.

Offline MikeG

• The World's Finest Brands

• Drives: Audi S4 V8 Quattro
  • Name: Mike Glew
We have a 3.8kW system on our roof, and our power bill quarterly averages around minus $600 (yep, they pay us ;)

Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au
1800 985 925

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Nice setup!!!!

18 months and no Power bill.........gotta love that!!!   :D

Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
Latest bill received today.  Usually for this time of year useage would be around $700.  This bill we're in credit for $165  :cool:

I'm feeling guilty - I'm sure Julia's gonna make a new tax for us.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better