Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Funny you should say that. When I was touring around France a few years back I couldn't believe how many nuclear reactors I saw.
Not funny.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf40.html

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
You're right- NOT FUNNY

"ANDRA reported to government so that parliament could decide on the precise course of action. After strong support in the National Assembly and Senate the Nuclear Materials and Waste Management Program Act was passed in June 2006 to apply for 15 years. This formally declares deep geological disposal as the reference solution for high-level and long-lived radioactive wastes, and sets 2015 as the target date for licensing a repository and 2025 for opening it."

So they have 58 Nuclear reactors doing wonderfully economic things all over France. Great, that bits good (let's hope it never goes tits up on them); but what's the story with all the waste?  Well we recycle some; but the really, really dangerous stuff we have no idea what to do with. I know, let's bury it really, really deep. That will work  :worship:
Oh, we better find a place then. Might take some time though, lets set 2025 as the start date  :doh:
WTF are they doing with it now ?

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

Sounds like you are a cake and eat it sort of person

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Sounds like you are a cake and eat it sort of person

So you, Mrs Scud & the little Scudlies would be happy to live next to a nuclear reactor? Better still, how about a storage facility for the waste?

Didn't think so.

Offline dkabab

live next to.... there are sheep stations bigger than european countries in aus.... no one lives out there

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

Do we have tsunamis? No

Do we have earthquakes? No

Do we have uranium? Yes

One accident and nuke is poo pooed.

Chernobyl was 25 years ago, now Japan.

Many reactors in the world with no incidents for many years.

On your original points:

Japan was acutely aware of it's potential for earthquakes and Tsunamis and had supposedly built in fail-safes to cope. They didn't work when faced with a 1 in 100 year event and look what happened.

Chernobyl. An aging nuclear reactor in a time when Russia was in economic distress. France has 58 reactors, some of them dating back to the early 1970's. Now Europe is in really deep economic shit. Will those reactors be maintained and replaced at incredible cost as that article suggests??

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

live next to.... there are sheep stations bigger than european countries in aus.... no one lives out there

Two points.

1) If the reactor was as remotely located as you suggest, it would be difficult and costly to establish and maintain the infrastructure to support it and get the end product to market.

2) You do know that when you have a disaster, the shit gets carried in the air currents? Remote locations cease to be "remote".

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Now that's interesting. I wonder if there is a tax office ruling on it ?

At this stage there is no Tax on money made from Solar power on a private home, it is considered a "Hobby".

But they are looking at putting a cap on that so you can't go nuts and cover the roof in panels..........   :rolleyes:

It will also be reviewed in a couple of years once all the payment schemes have died off.

Offline dkabab

I have no idea how the power grid works as such, but I know one mine site in sa's remote north, 800kms from Adelaide gets its power from Adelaide, and it's the single biggest consumer of power in the state.

Based on that I'm sure power can be sent from pretty remote locations.

As for the fallout, not much to stop that

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan