Offline E7ITE

What are the good solar panel brands that are on the market? Is there no general rule of thumb to avoid the cheapo Chinese ones?

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

• Drives: Honda NSX
This is a client of ours in North Adelaide that was looking at a small solar system around 10kw then battery storage to knock out a $3k p/q power bill. After looking at their power usage predominantly normal business hours, it was suggested that it would be more cost effective and quicker ROI if a larger solar PV system was installed. This larger system on average would produce more power than is being consumed during their peak load periods i.e. during normal business hours. 

The challenge with current battery power storage is initial cost, space and ROI. By the time ROI occurs the batteries require replacing (depending on the size of the storage system and programmed discharge % rate) so in most cases there's no economic benefit only the warm fuzzy tummy feeling that you are your own power station.

We are very interested in the Tesla lithium battery Powerwall especially the warranty up to 20yrs which is amazing when you think of it that’s 7,300 duty cycles.

This system uses 80 x 305w Canadian Solar poly-crystalline PV modules and 80 x Enphase Gen 5 micro inverters. The cost of this 24.4kw system is around $34k ex gst with Rec’s singed over to us.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
If you operate predominantly through the day, a bigger solar panel component is the way to go.
We operate 14hrs a day, 364 days a year, so battery storage is a must. I will be interested to see how many years our batteries last.

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

If you operate predominantly through the day, a bigger solar panel component is the way to go.
We operate 14hrs a day, 364 days a year, so battery storage is a must. I will be interested to see how many years our batteries last.

Depends on the discharge rate I wouldn't go below 80% anywhere south of that battery life plummets

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Depends on the discharge rate I wouldn't go below 80% anywhere south of that battery life plummets

Tesla have an optimum charge/discharge range for their batteries to maximize battery life. I'll look into it further.

Offline MikeG

• The World's Finest Brands

• Drives: E93 BMW M3
  • Name: Mike Glew
I'd consider getting a Tesla battery unit, and panels to simply charge it up each day, and use it instead of grid power (with failover upon total battery discharge obviously).  At present, I already get a gross feed-in which more than covers my power bill, and we use gas cooking and heating. 

Do you reckon this would have a practical ROI?  Our power costs are $0.689/day plus $0.1664/kWh - usage is 1100-1650 kWh per quarter.

M
Mike
www.bestexhaust.com.au
1800 985 925

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

I'd consider getting a Tesla battery unit, and panels to simply charge it up each day, and use it instead of grid power (with failover upon total battery discharge obviously).  At present, I already get a gross feed-in which more than covers my power bill, and we use gas cooking and heating. 

Do you reckon this would have a practical ROI?  Our power costs are $0.689/day plus $0.1664/kWh - usage is 1100-1650 kWh per quarter.

M

Mike if your solar system more than covers your power bill then your are already ahead of the pack keep it simple and leave things as they are until your feed-in tariff ends.

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle

M

wow that is so cheap,

here in QLD we're paying almost double per KWh and as of 1 July it will be $1.26 per day connection.

Offline Clive005

This is a client of ours in North Adelaide that was looking at a small solar system around 10kw then battery storage to knock out a $3k p/q power bill. After looking at their power usage predominantly normal business hours, it was suggested that it would be more cost effective and quicker ROI if a larger solar PV system was installed. This larger system on average would produce more power than is being consumed during their peak load periods i.e. during normal business hours. 

The challenge with current battery power storage is initial cost, space and ROI. By the time ROI occurs the batteries require replacing (depending on the size of the storage system and programmed discharge % rate) so in most cases there's no economic benefit only the warm fuzzy tummy feeling that you are your own power station.

We are very interested in the Tesla lithium battery Powerwall especially the warranty up to 20yrs which is amazing when you think of it that’s 7,300 duty cycles.

This system uses 80 x 305w Canadian Solar poly-crystalline PV modules and 80 x Enphase Gen 5 micro inverters. The cost of this 24.4kw system is around $34k ex gst with Rec’s singed over to us.
mmmmm not a bad way to spend the small business $20 k tax deduction? I would think

Offline NSX

• The Cow Whisperer

mmmmm not a bad way to spend the small business $20 k tax deduction? I would think

One step ahead of you already spoke to the client last week about splitting the system and having it invoiced before eofy so he can claim it this yr. :thumbsup: