Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
When the iPad et al were unleashed on the world I initially thought "why?", but after a while had come to realise there's a place for tablet computing in my life.

So, I'm no Apple fanboi - kinda over it all after my Macbook and iPhone - but is it actually better than whatever else is out/coming out?

Offline Iggy_Type_R

I thought the iPad was useless until i played with it... but I am waiting for the dual screen (like a book) option on one of these tablets... Microsoft had the prototype but it's been scrapped... I hope someone else does it tho!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
Like Donkey Kong?

Yeah baby.....I have 1 of those somewhere.....bought it in Singapore in the 80's :thumbsup:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Like Donkey Kong?

LOL - I was shopping on the weekend for my Teenaged son in this "Trendy" cloths shop.

I could not believe the "Emo" wear that was for sale - was themed with all the old games, like Pacman, Space Invaders, etc, etc and Nintendo game console stuff.

Weird.......   :eek:

Offline Iggy_Type_R

Ah Ash, how did you know that's my favourite colour and toy!? I have a matching set of underwear to match! If you're not careful I'll post a pic!  :eek:
 :D

Offline Rix

If you have use for it it's worth buying. My iPad is an invaluable tool, I take it everywhere and use it everywhere. I had never even used it or researched it prior to purchase the day they launched, infact I have never even owned any Apple products!

Posted via my iPad ;)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

It wouldn't be the kind of thing I take everywhere - I'm not a man-bag kinda guy - I'm happy with just having a pocket device for when I'm between pubs etc.  I'd only really use it around the house and take it with me when travelling.

That was the thing that struck me - when this first came out I was like what's the point when I have a laptop and I can sit out on the balcony or wherever and do my surfing etc - but that's just it, 95% of the stuff I used my laptop for I didn't need a keyboard or the awkwardness of it never really sitting comfortably on anything.

My thing with the iPad is that I'm pretty much over the whole Apple thing, the syncing, the updates, the music management, the photo library management... these things all really suck on Apple products - the actual operational stuff it does brilliantly, but I'm bored of the maintenance issues.

So yeah, that's why I'm looking at the alternatives for the next step.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm happy enough using the iPad. It's good for traveling - don't need to remove it from the bag at security like you do with a laptop - and great for couch surfing.  But it ends there. It isn't some kind of miracle cure. It's useless to use laid flat for one thing. 

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht