Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

BLACKBERRY maker just can't stop upping the ante in its growing publicity war with Apple.                            

Yesterday, as part of an effort to generate interest in its   soon-to-be-released Playbook tablet computer, RIM released a video that   shows the company's new device operating and loading websites faster   than Apple's iPad.
The PlayBook will be priced at less than $US500   when goes on sale in North America in the first quarter of 2011,   according to RIM.
The PlayBook global launch is set for the second   quarter of the year, but the video has outraged fans of Apple's device   who say it's an unfair comparison.
Both RIM and Apple have so far   declined to comment on the comparison, but the video was another sign of   RIM's increasingly aggressive approach to marking its territory as a   genuine Apple rival.

The head of RIM fired another shot on Tuesday, slamming the notion that smartphones need "apps".
"You   don't need an app for the web," RIM chief executive Jim Balsillie said   during an on-stage interview at a Web 2.0 Summit in San Francisco.
"We believe you can bring the mobile to the web, but you don't need to go through some kind of control point."
Applications   must get Apple's approval before being allowed into the App Store at   iTunes that serves as an exclusive shop for programs for iPhones, iPads,   and iPod touch media players.
"It is really not about a set of   proprietary rules or about 'appifying' the web," Mr Balsillie said. "The   web needs a platform that allows you to use your existing web content,   not apps."
Mr Balsillie gave as an example the multitude of online   videos done in Flash software shunned by Apple and publicly ridiculed   by Apple chief executive Steve Jobs.
He predicted that the era of smartphone applications would "pass real quick".
When   asked what he would say to Steve Jobs if Apple's iconic pitchman were   to appear at the summit, Mr Balsillie replied his first comment would be   "You showed up."
Apple's iPhone was next on sales of 13.5 million units for a 16.7 per cent market share, down from 17.1 per cent a year ago.
RIM   was in fourth position with sales of 11.9 million units. Its market   share dropped to 14.8 per cent from 20.7 per cent a year ago.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/rim-proves-its-playbook-better-than-ipad/story-e6frfro0-1225955453742
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72rGDUn2uo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s72rGDUn2uo</a>

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Here ya go.

probably worth a new thread on tablets. Android 2.2 is solid and for work stuff i'm getting more out of this than the ipad. Runs flash video no problem and is cheap enough on a 12 gig plan.

Just bought evernote for it on android maket and I'm determined to use technology to get repetitive meeting crap done better.

Posting from it now on the beach and its acting as a wifi hub so bro can download music to have beers to. Technology has come a long way.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Righto, solid 6 hours of web browsing, meeting noting and using a mind mapping application that's not too bad.

Used an android note app to record meetings, sorting them by meeting/client/tags.

All seems to work well, and i'm torn on whether to invest time in Swype, in bettering my thumb typing skillz, or on going to ebay for a screen-pen-thing then getting and android writing recognition app.

C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I'm using Slide-it on my Desire hd, to say people are fucking amazed is an understatement.

Offline hydie

Increased travelling and lots of reading reports etc, I have been thinking about getting an iPad, laptop is just getting to inconvenient. I came across Big W's special.

How the hell can they do it at that price compared to every other retailer?!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Gee I wonder why... Maaaaybe cos the ipad 2 will be released in a few weeks...

Anyhoo, do your research - after going to Android, Apple is a bit of a joke.

http://blogs.news.com.au/couriermail/hitech/index.php/couriermail/comments/2011_could_get_you_addict_to_tablets_look_away_now_team_sheen/

Offline hydie

Gee I wonder why... Maaaaybe cos the ipad 2 will be released in a few weeks...

Anyhoo, do your research - after going to Android, Apple is a bit of a joke.

http://blogs.news.com.au/couriermail/hitech/index.php/couriermail/comments/2011_could_get_you_addict_to_tablets_look_away_now_team_sheen/
Of course I know the 2 is to be released, they have already been price cut by Apple, but then Big W is another $200 then anywhere I have seen..

Offline fivesix

So should I bother with the ipad, or whats the next best tablet? Are there any other new ones on their way?!?!