Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

It's a desktop, from a shop.

Though I'm considering getting a custom now as I've had enough of this happening.

I turned it on this morning, then prior to doing a anything it went black. Tried to restart several times but it wouldn't,

try a new powersupply -  dirt cheap and easy to replace yourself

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I've been having an issue over the last 1.5 years where my PC works great for months, then all of a sudden it starts restarting itself (or blue screen of death) and most of the time it can't start up after shutting down, it just freezes during start up.

Whenever it happens I've been bringing it to a guy in the CBD who has been great and always fixes it but months later it happens again.

Last issue he told me was an Adobe program which seem to run everytime it happened and he uninstalled it.

Now it's happening again (restarted/froze twice tonight) and was wondering where I can find the error log to see if I can find the program that might be causing it.

Running Window 7 Ultimate, 32bit

How many times a year do you have it serviced????

I service a lot of PCs and find that one of the biggest issues that causes this problem is overheating. Have a look at your Processor heatsink and make sure it's not blocked or clogged up with dust.

This is one thing that a lot of people neglect to do, servicing your PC is just as important as servicing your car……

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

servicing your PC is just as important as servicing your car……

or your wife :rolleyes:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline j15

It's a desktop, from a shop.

Though I'm considering getting a custom now as I've had enough of this happening.

I turned it on this morning, then prior to doing a anything it went black. Tried to restart several times but it wouldn't,

Are you still taking it to Gary Cel? He can hook you up with something new. He has supplied our office with all of our hardware and manages our server. Have not had any issues in two years.

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I take all the computers at work out the back and blow the fibreglass dust out regularly. Keeps the crashes down a lot.

Offline cel

try a new powersupply -  dirt cheap and easy to replace yourself

I believe that was replaced the first time I brought it away. Is there a way to confirm that is what is causing the problems?

Are you still taking it to Gary Cel? He can hook you up with something new. He has supplied our office with all of our hardware and manages our server. Have not had any issues in two years.

Yeah, I've taken it to Gary 3 times now and he always fixes it for a while, though the last time was only end of December.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

I believe that was replaced the first time I brought it away. Is there a way to confirm that is what is causing the problems?

Yeah, I've taken it to Gary 3 times now and he always fixes it for a while, though the last time was only end of December.

The only way I know is to actually try another PSA ( if you have another computer use the PSU from that.

could also be faulty RAM or corrupt hard drive. 

These days I just buy computers from Dell, if there are any issues, they come to the office the following day and fix it. Cant get better service than that, and their computers are cheap.

Offline Nobleambitions

• Back from the naughty corner.

That depends. How firmly do you believe in Occam's Razor?

No but seriously, power supply problems are abundant in desktop PCs and align perfectly with the computer symptoms you have described. You can pick up a new one for as low as $15 and if the seller is nice enough, he'll even install it for you.

If you want to find the problem for sure before taking action, then there's a man in Hornsby who's the House M.D. of computer diagnosis and he won't charge for his time as long as you buy the offending part from him (he'll do all the swapping too). I can pm you his number if you like and if you mention me, he might even let you take pictures of his Toyota Hiace :).

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
Check that your ram, sound and video cards and all leads are seated correctly as well. It shouldn't be too dusty if he looked at it in December unless you are in a very dusty environment.