Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

About time -

The Federal Government is moving to stop telecommunications companies from making huge profits from people using their mobile phones overseas.

Numerous consumers have complained about excessive charges, with one ABC listener reporting being initially billed $11,000 for a document download

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-23/telcos-ordered-to-end-roaming-rip-off/4216862

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Notifying isn't enough.  They should enforce a cap on global roaming pricing like they did in Europe in 2008.  The government has been too slow on this.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Putting a cap on this is not as easy as it sounds.

One of the biggest problems here is the high chargers that International Telco's charge for the service while you are in their country. Not sure how Europe got around this.

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
First telco to market with a proper global offering will make billions

Just imagine paying what ever you pay now but being able to use the same number in all countries with modern infrastructure and being able to use your smartphone anywhere without thinking first

The smaller localised telcos make big profits on this now but it just takes one corporation with a desire to be first to market to kill all the others

They would attract all the wealthy customers, people who travel and need to be connected

Offline Excalibur Racing

• Drives: 997 GT3 Cup, Radical SR8 RX
This will be less of an issue going forward as the wireless internet already is used by many apps to give you phone calls globally. Just as the airlines form alliances you will find phone carriers forming global alliances as technology outsmarts the outrageous rip offs when one is trapped on a network.
AT&T already gives Kindle users free access in the US. A little government pressure and they will fold before long I suspect.
As Agent Smith said, "that is the sound of inevitability".
Youth is wasted on the young...

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Putting a cap on this is not as easy as it sounds.

One of the biggest problems here is the high chargers that International Telco's charge for the service while you are in their country. Not sure how Europe got around this.

Not easy i agree but not impossible.

The European Parliament legislated it.

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
For the last 12 month my provider here charges 50p (75c) for each call I make overseas and then the time comes off my plan. So it can be done.