Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
The key there is "anything is possible".
Tesla will be selling the dream on their basic systems. The reality is that it takes a pretty massive system to achieve the reality. String enough tesla tiles and powerwalls together and it can be done for sure; but budget will be serious $$$$.

agreed, it's not the ideal system, but its the most "plug and play" option out there which is what Musk is good at.

Offline looney

My system is now upgraded to 20kw of solar panels and 48kw of battery storage. It can now charge the Tesla purely from solar generated energy and takes the house "off grid 24/7".
My data confirms that is what it will take to do what Tesla is suggesting, in Melbourne at least. So if your planning on living the Tesla dream keep that.in mind.

so that's equivelant to 4x Powerwall 2.  good info to know :D

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
agreed, it's not the ideal system, but its the most "plug and play" option out there which is what Musk is good at.

Yup, take an existing technology and making it sexy is Tesla's thing.

Offline E7ITE

this is awesome.  But what is the capacity of each solar tile?

Offline looney

this is awesome.  But what is the capacity of each solar tile?

I was trying to find specs myself I'd be guessing around 10w per tile depending on which style you get.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I was trying to find specs myself I'd be guessing around 10w per tile depending on which style you get.

This was the closest that I could get to technical specs on the Tesla solar tile:

"Tesla says that the system can achieve 98% of the efficiency of a standard solar cell despite being a more complex system for being integrated with the roof. According to the company, the difference is a small price to pay since the price of the system will be competitive with a regular roof when accounting for energy savings."

So there is a difference in efficiency between the Tesla solar tile cell and a normal solar panel cell; but it isn't massive. When you factor in that you would be able to tile the entire area of a suitable roof space, rather than the patchwork pattern of traditional panels which leaves some space unused because it is too small for a complete solar panel, the Tesla solar tile may come out in front with more output from an available roof space.

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

Yup, take an existing technology and making it sexy is Tesla's thing.

Like Apple

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan