Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

So, the blueprint I've come up with, in theory it makes for a great format, as presenters my mate is a professional performer - theatre/radio/tv ads/bands/etc - and I'm... Well, I'm a charming mofo.

It's probably going to be 1/3 scripted 2/3 ad-lib. As for content, I've come up with a system whereby we have almost limitless interesting stuff - even if nothing happened in the world anymore we'd have a year's worth of ammo easy.

The three things we're left with are implementation, branding, and monetisation.

Being subscribed to dozens of podcasts I'm getting a good idea how to deliver best. We were talking about branding tonight, we think we've got a great angle and appeal, kinda like we'll be little known for ages, but we'll produce something that goes viral and all you bastards will be hipster like "I knew of them when they were shitter than they are now".

With a total of three emails and an hour of discussion of the idea between us, we field tested some stuff tonight, and were right away quite pleased with the reception, if we can carry the energy and interest and humour over to a recorded format I reckon we're on a winner.

Thats an interesting idea and not an easy one to implement I would think, sounds very labour intensive.

You'll need to just run with it and adjust as you go, it will be a work in progress for quite a while I guess,

Implementation, just do it and adjust as you go.
Branding will be viral, put it on You Tube etc
Monetisation will follow all by itself, your mate will probably land a job in Hollywood and you'll be running a motoring web site  :D or get a job as a writer in the US and go insane in a week.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I might be underestimating the work involved, buta apart from initial setup I don't see it as labour intensive, the beauty is we're leveraging off information we already possess, it only requires that we organise our thoughts somewhat so we're not just brainfarting.

I'm talking audio here, nothing that will go "youtube viral", but we've been meaning to collaborate for years on various projects so who knows what we'll come up with.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I might be underestimating the work involved, buta apart from initial setup I don't see it as labour intensive, the beauty is we're leveraging off information we already possess, it only requires that we organise our thoughts somewhat so we're not just brainfarting.

I'm talking audio here, nothing that will go "youtube viral", but we've been meaning to collaborate for years on various projects so who knows what we'll come up with.

When I say labour intensive I mean mentally, you're going to have to be pumped constantly to get it right and be on top of it.

I would definitely put it on You Tube just get the guy to sit there and do whatever it is but film it, You Tube is the greatest free ad and launchpad of all time.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

It sounds like you're planning the tech equivalent of a radio sitcom.

Who knows how it could go, get some content or a test podcast out for all us armchair critics to ... erm ... criticize.

On the flight last night there was an interview with Ricky Gervais of Office fame, talking about how the character in the office that launched him, was a 'bad boss' act he'd dick around with in the office. His partner in crime was actually starting at the radio station they both worked at, asked Ricky to do the Bad Boss as part of his creative assignment and boom, management liked it and the Office was born.

Who know's... if you're not in the game, then your chance of success is zero.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

I personally don't want "fame" as a talking head, I'm good to research and write and happy to improv voice stuff, but otherwise prefer to avoid attention, I'm pretty sure I'm no acting talent.

However my mate who I mentioned, he's just about to release an EP, and would love to know how to get a wider audience.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

^   LIAR!

Everyone wants to be famous and cool. You'll get over the denial with the first hot groupie.
C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Anyone got experience in podcasts?

I've got a great idea for one, but no idea where to start.

To the untrained eye, it might have looked like I spent today just fartarsing around in the morning, then cooking a fantastic ribeye lunch, and spending the afternoon lazing about at the pub.

The acute investigator would have seen me remodel an entire section of the website, then discuss music release strategies over a healthy protein rich meal, then solidified a plan of attack for a podcasting career (maybe done at a local bar).

Takeaway is - our first podcast recording session is next Tuesday. :cool:

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

...our first podcast recording session is next Tuesday. :cool:

Right, awesome day. :cool:

The bad news out of the way - we've both been so busy the past week that neither of us had a chance to prepare whatsoever, so today was all talking about structure and ideas and just general banter that we do.

Then at one stage during our general banter, he just said fuck it, let's switch on the mic and see how we go just riffing and rambling.

We had just segue'd into a conversation about memory as the recording starts, and we managed to just banter fairly naturally with zero preparation for 15 minutes on the subject.  I'd say 3-5 of those minutes were informative, 3-5 were amusing, and 3-5 were interesting - lots of overlap of course.  But for a subject just out of the blue with no clear direction just to purely gauge how we are as a team chatting - it was actually really good.

Because we had no structure we rambled somewhat, and there was a lot of overtalking, but we've discussed this and the structure I've come up with should serve us well for coherent, informative and fascinating discussions.

The production quality of the sound is top notch (he's a sound engineer etc), he's a lifelong theatre student so his voice is projected well, mine still has a nervous timbre in it because I'm acutely aware of being recorded whereas he's a natural performer, but I'm still confident and don't stammer much. Also hearing my own voice is still something I'm not used to. :eek:

Point is, we are now confident we have a great team and loads of content waiting to happen, we just need to produce something and find a way to distribute it effectively.

Offline Paulstar

Sound effects, it's got to have sound effects  :cool: fart noises, babies crying - all the classics  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good luck with it  :D

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Tech issues right now, doing it via phone tether so can only seem to upload to tumblr...

Anyhoo, if anyone's interested, here's our first take - I got rid of a couple minutes of personal banter but otherwise it's mostly just a straight candid recording:

http://ashsimmonds.com/post/13823594517

Take note in that we just randomly switched the mic on an hour into a conversation when we realised it'd be a good idea to see how we vibe in retrospect with zero planning - so this is all pretty much exactly how we chat without any structure.

In the first couple minutes it's very scattered as I'm really nervous knowing that what I'm saying is being recorded so there's lots of ums and aahs and likes and yeahs etc, but eventually it's pretty natural conversation.

This isn't meant to be an indication of content - we have loads of that to explore - we just wanted to see how we went when put on the spot to just talk about a random subject.

Feel free to criticise the fuck out of us. (seriously, go nuts) :cool: