Offline CortinaD

Tech issues right now, doing it via phone tether so can only seem to upload to tumblr...

Anyhoo, if anyone's interested, here's our first take - I got rid of a couple minutes of personal banter but otherwise it's mostly just a straight candid recording:

http://ashsimmonds.com/post/13823594517

Take note in that we just randomly switched the mic on an hour into a conversation when we realised it'd be a good idea to see how we vibe in retrospect with zero planning - so this is all pretty much exactly how we chat without any structure.

In the first couple minutes it's very scattered as I'm really nervous knowing that what I'm saying is being recorded so there's lots of ums and aahs and likes and yeahs etc, but eventually it's pretty natural conversation.

This isn't meant to be an indication of content - we have loads of that to explore - we just wanted to see how we went when put on the spot to just talk about a random subject.

Feel free to criticise the fuck out of us. (seriously, go nuts) :cool:

Great dude.

Recording is clear and you sound crisp and clear.  You say you know a far bit when you stared the recording but it stopped after a few minutes. You also swore a bit to and to be honest you don't need to as you sound much better when you don't.

I probably wouldn't listen if this was the content mainly because you aren't Ash M.D. Coincidently My Nanna got Alzheimer's and she was a crossword machine all her life. So while I believe in brain exercise at the end of the day she's a perfect everyone why it's not going to stop it for everyone.

I did some speech training. The first couple of weeks you are camera aware but after that you forget about it.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Cheers. :)

Haha yeah, after a couple beers we just decided to chuck the mic on just to hear the mix technically, and judge our speech.

We're hardly scientists, but there are a lot of subjects we can speak intelligently on without making stuff up - which is the point of research and structure.

So yeah, I need to become more comfortable being aware of being recorded, and less crass. :p

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Cheers. :)

Haha yeah, after a couple beers we just decided to chuck the mic on just to hear the mix technically, and judge our speech.

We're hardly scientists, but there are a lot of subjects we can speak intelligently on without making stuff up - which is the point of research and structure.

So yeah, I need to become more comfortable being aware of being recorded, and less crass. :p

Grandfatherly advice here.

It's fun to have great ideas, work on the giant picture and to jump into production - however to have a chance at success you really need to be strong on who you think your market is, how you're going to get to them and why they'll pay you rather than a competitor.

What market are you planning to chase with '2 smart guys talk about stuff'?
C'mon, do it!

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Grandfatherly advice here.

It's fun to have great ideas, work on the giant picture and to jump into production - however to have a chance at success you really need to be strong on who you think your market is, how you're going to get to them and why they'll pay you rather than a competitor.

What market are you planning to chase with '2 smart guys talk about stuff'?

+1

Back the dream with smarts.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Our target market are those who are keen to learn stuff about things beyond the prima facie which is presented to them by conventional means. Also, to people who want to be able to have some interesting knowledge about a subject to talk about.

We question everything we're told, when someone provides us with a theory or information without a citation we ponder it with some healthy skepticism, as we know people just parrot stuff they've grown up believing without investigation.

Also, we're pretty entertaining, so it's not just dry information, we're hardly gunna be a drivetime talk show, but we can provide fascinating insights and a few laughs.

AFAIK we don't have a competitor, it's the kind of thing I wish existed already.

Monetising... Still unsure, we need compelling content, but I've got ideas for an app and subscription models, however until we're proven we'll just have to do it for shits and giggles.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Our target market are those who are keen to learn stuff about things beyond the prima facie which is presented to them by conventional means. Also, to people who want to be able to have some interesting knowledge about a subject to talk about.

We question everything we're told, when someone provides us with a theory or information without a citation we ponder it with some healthy skepticism, as we know people just parrot stuff they've grown up believing without investigation.

Also, we're pretty entertaining, so it's not just dry information, we're hardly gunna be a drivetime talk show, but we can provide fascinating insights and a few laughs.

AFAIK we don't have a competitor, it's the kind of thing I wish existed already.

Monetising... Still unsure, we need compelling content, but I've got ideas for an app and subscription models, however until we're proven we'll just have to do it for shits and giggles.

What about a variation on TED ? simple version.

Monetisation will take care of itself if it's popular enough.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

What about a variation on TED ? simple version.

Well yeah, that's effectively it.

Think TED concepts delivered in bite size packages in a David & Margaret structure with Merrick & Rosso undertones.

We're not singularly as good as any of the above, but I'm confident we can blend these disparate themes into our own style, and deliver something fascinating and entertaining, which ultimately provides the target with value.

Our overarching strategy is to make people more interesting.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Try to make it unique with your personality a la Charlie Harper, Barney Stinson, type of thing, two reasons -

1/ If you can get it to go viral you'll save a lot of time and money.

2/ The concept is easy to copy but if it's entwined with a personality not so much, so awsomeness, cars whatever but make it unique and it becomes yours.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

An example of content:

Ok, looks like I was kinda right and kinda wrong on the beer dehydrating you thing, I figgered it was just an old wives tale...

Anyhoo, listening to Dr Karl today a listener called in and mentioned a peer-reviewed study on the diuretic effect of alcohol and the general effect of alcohol on people in various states of hydration, a bit of searching through Google Scholar and I found it:

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/4/366.full

Basically, if you are in a state of normal hydration, if you drink 1L of beer you'll piss out on average 158ml more than someone drinking non-alcoholic beer (!). 

HOWEVER... If you're already dehydrated the effect is minimised, you'll only piss out a little volume no matter what.

There's another referenced study but with dubious controls that indicates for every 10g of alcohol imbibed you will pass an extra 100ml of fluid.

So, yes beer does dehydrate you if you are well hydrated, but your body won't let you become excessively dehydrated by it.

Having done a bunch of studying of this now, I can speak intelligently on the subject AND convey a useful informative viewpoint - I can lay out the theory, the facts, the conjecture, and provide a good approachable version of these in a lucid form, which the listener is then able to take away.

On the surface you might think *yawn*, but the next time you're chatting to someone at a party or at work or wherever and beer is mentioned, *boom* you've got an interesting subject you're able to easily speak about AND with a level of authority/confidence as it's not just made up shit but scientific stuff with citations but melted down to laymans terms, making you a more interesting person, which is our goal.

Offline M500

I'm all for verified, interesting content. But I still can't see a way for you to make enough from this interesting conversation to replace your day job, it seems to be more of am interest/ hobby at this stage.