Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I'm all for verified, interesting content. But I still can't see a way for you to make enough from this interesting conversation to replace your day job, it seems to be more of am interest/ hobby at this stage.

It's just one venture, I intend to find a way to source an income from all of my passions.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
It's just one venture, I intend to find a way to source an income from all of my passions.

The top earners on youtube make a variety of videos.. This could be one day a week that Ash put these videos on his channel and on other days he could put something else on.... Say on Wednesdays he could upload a weekly video on The Pursuit of Awesomeness, he could have different kinds of videos that he uploads regularly each week which builds him into a channel that makes $50k or more a year....

there is a company in LA that works with 20 of the top 100 youtube channels. They send them scripts 3 -5 times a week, the people record themselves for an hour or so and send the vision back to LA. The company edits the videos, puts other vision into them to make them around 3 minutes long and the guys recording for 3-10 hours a week clear over $100k a year for their work :)

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The top earners on youtube make a variety of videos.. This could be one day a week that Ash put these videos on his channel and on other days he could put something else on.... Say on Wednesdays he could upload a weekly video on The Pursuit of Awesomeness, he could have different kinds of videos that he uploads regularly each week which builds him into a channel that makes $50k or more a year....

Yeah, the YT thing I'm still a little dubious of, mainly because I'm a writer not a performer.  I should probably put in some camera time just to desensitise to it, but again I'm not interested in being known or a star or whatever, I want to create interesting stuff - and make a decent $buck out of it.

As far as subject content goes I'm solid, I'll happily read a dozen science journals and psychology blogs and neuroscience articles and stuff on women and NLP and body language and nutrition and basically anything in a given day, and anything I come across that I can test for myself in-field I'm willing to try. Probably the only person who's more knowledge hungry than me is Dr Karl, and his main advantage is he has 30 years of research on me, but also a prolific writer - so much of the stuff he learns he writes about - which BTW is pretty much what I'm moving toward now with all this.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Yeah, the YT thing I'm still a little dubious of, mainly because I'm a writer not a performer.  I should probably put in some camera time just to desensitise to it

Right, done it, will probably take it down.  Painful to watch, all I tried to do is give a dissertation on the beer thing off the cuff - I'm 100% sure I could do this with a workmate or someone I just met or some stunning blonde at the bar, but put me on that side of the camera and you get the idea why I just can't be a Youtube sensation. :?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvOyFaZL7Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvOyFaZL7Q</a>

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Right, done it, will probably take it down.  Painful to watch, all I tried to do is give a dissertation on the beer thing off the cuff - I'm 100% sure I could do this with a workmate or someone I just met or some stunning blonde at the bar, but put me on that side of the camera and you get the idea why I just can't be a Youtube sensation. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvOyFaZL7Q

Compared to some out-takes of just talking shit with no preparation whatsoever:

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Leave it up - as a lesson to the young folk. :p

But seriously, you need to FOCUS. AE can make you a heap of money, and you don't need lessons to make it run.  Crank this thing up to the point it is making you more than you can spend, and with the extra cash, start the next enthusiast forum in another field. Repeat until death. There's your fortune, right there.

Damn you rich guy, giving away all your rich guy tips.   :D

Excellent advice.
C'mon, do it!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Ash care of Sydney airport, I've just bought URL's for you to borrow:

www.interestingbloke.com
www.interestingbloke.com.au

Just having podcasts won't get you an anchor. You need a site, forum, content and a 'wrapper' for your podcast/video content - and a place for people to donate, or to pay to subscribe.

C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Next attempt at podcast stuff is tomorrow

So here's our first one, it's on Google Plus as I've had no end of punishment trying to get the damn file up anywhere else, I wanted to put it on YouTube just to easily keep track of views(listens) and stats so mashed up a bunch of drinking related images, but alas it didn't work, the world is against me today. :tired:

It's about 5mins long:

---> https://plus.google.com/photos/112232303601060671207/albums/5688028982692489761/5688033011563291906

It's basically an expansion on this:

Ok, looks like I was kinda right and kinda wrong on the beer dehydrating you thing, I figgered it was just an old wives tale...

Anyhoo, listening to Dr Karl today a listener called in and mentioned a peer-reviewed study on the diuretic effect of alcohol and the general effect of alcohol on people in various states of hydration, a bit of searching through Google Scholar and I found it:

http://alcalc.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/4/366.full

We've recorded six of these subjects so far. :cool:

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Yeah that was good :thumbsup:
Didn't get all the blurb, breasts kept popping into my head, the images project a kickass lifestyle  :D

Offline a.taylor

I like your concept. Format works well (i.e. 2 blokes chatting/discussing). Audio quality and clarity was great, much better than I was expecting but what it needs to be.

The biggest hole to my mind was the delivery.. right at the crux of it, when you were discussing what the study contained things got a a bit haphazard and your points didn't seem to be delivered clearly. I still got it (perhaps because I was aware of previous discussions on the point) but it just seemed to lack a little clarity in its delivery.

Otherwise.. cool :thumbsup: look forward to hearing some more and seeing it develop.