Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
More info: http://www.internetblackout.com.au/

Basically, sometime soon that "clean feed" of the interwebs is supposedly going to be enforced on us - effectively a secret blacklist of sites/pages will be filtered from our sensitive minds if they are "Refused Classification", whatever that can mean.

I'm not one to care for scaremongering or fall for hype, but at best this thing will be pointless and only cost us a few $gazillion, however what it says to me is that they are pro-actively taking the next step of further opening the moral umbrella to shield us because they think there might be a few folk who need it.

No point waxing lyrical about Big Brother et al, and I have no idea whether this campaign will have any effect whatsoever or if it's all just a storm in a shot glass, but at least it's a noble effort to open some eyes - even if it's missing the mark a little.

So - at the risk of bandwagoning - I'll be setting up AE so that the first pageload includes the following blacked out page courtesy of the above site (it shouldn't come back after you close it - on that computer at least).

Your Internet connection will be censored

What’s this about?

Early this year, the Rudd Government will introduce a new law requiring Internet service providers to filter all Internet connections, including yours.

The stated goal of the filter is to protect children, however the filter will only serve to give parents a false sense of security. It will not block the vast majority of sites unsuitable for children, nor mitigate the other, more serious risks facing children online such as cyber-bullying.

The list of sites to be blocked will be secret, and not open to public review. It comes with no guarantees about how it might be expanded later by this or future governments.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

This is what a tech-blogger has to say on the issue:

http://blogs.news.com.au/couriermail/hitech/index.php/couriermail/comments/websites_to_wear_black_for_australia_day

Websites to wear black for Australia Day
Jennifer Dudley-Nicholson

YOU might have noticed some Australian websites turning out their lights.

A select group of social networking users are blacking out their profile pictures too.

Why? It’s part of The Great Australian Blackout, a protest movement against KRudd’s proposed internet filter that is being held this Australia Day week.

It follows a similar protest in New Zealand last year, and is designed to highlight the filter that Communications Minister Stephen Conroy would prefer we all just accepted.

That same filter, however, will slow our internet speed, increase costs for internet service providers, leave Australia open to international ridicule and be open to future abuse.

Just sayin’.

So will you join the protest? Or do you welcome the filtration?

It’s the internet filter that we have to have, according to Conroy; censorship that will ”improve safety of the internet for families” and working families no doubt. It will surely save the moral values of us all!

For such a do-good policy, it’s strange then that the report into this filter’s feasibility was quietly released on December 15, two months after its preparation and when few were looking.

Perhaps that is because large parts of this plan are unpalatable to the tech-friendly. Let’s see…

1. The Government will make internet service providers police this filter, increasing their costs which they will pass on to users.
2. The filter will censor Refused Classification content. That could be euthanasia websites. Or blogs that mention drugs. It’s pretty much open to abuse.
3. The filter will be complaints-based, so it won’t even block all the genuinely illegal content on the web.
4. The blacklist will be shielded from the eyes of the public, so we won’t quite know what’s on it.
5. There’s a good chance well-meaning parents will think this filter will make the web kid-friendly. It won’t. You’ll need parental supervision for that.

Did I leave anything out?

Oh yes, this policy will also put Australia in the same category as Iran and China, who filter the World Wide Web for their citizens. So pardon me if I choke while reading Conroy’s support for US Secretary of State Hilary Clinton’s comments about China’s questionable web deeds.

Conroy is planning to introduce draft legislation on this web filter to Federal Parliament in March, before Kevin 11 comes up for election. Potentially, it could be made law and up and running within a year.

So are you keen to protest? Or do you support KRudd ideal of a filtered internet?

Personally, I think it sets a dangerous precedent. There are already Australian and international laws allowing authorities to take down websites will illegal content. As well there should be. “Questionable content” or “Refused Classification content” can mean different things to different people, and I’m not willing to let the government decide what is right for viewing by everyone.

If this Government was truly serious about tackling illegal content on the internet, KRudd should put on his Diplomacy Suit and fly around the world spruiking better co-operation between web-savvy police forces. A filter is not the answer.

So I suppose this is where my profile pic fades to black for the week…

Offline dkabab

on the iPhone, for every page I load, about 10 secs later I get a popup saying the following.

Timed out while loading jquerycookie

I can only assume it's this. But when I first load AE in a new window, it brings up the popup. Any ideas?

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
It's popping up everytime I come on but not with every page

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Ok it's over. 

Stats say AE delivered the message to about 16,000 visitors.

Not huge, but probably more than Journey could muster nowadays.

Damn, I hate it when pop-culture rapes old-school music and makes it well-known.

Offline fivesix

on the iPhone, for every page I load, about 10 secs later I get a popup saying the following.

Timed out while loading jquerycookie

I can only assume it's this. But when I first load AE in a new window, it brings up the popup. Any ideas?

yup i was getting that sucker too!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

Sheesh - I've never really looked at politics and crap so the only references to Stephen Conroy I've seen have been in the form of jokes - just saw this vid of him going on about the filter, this bloke is seriously a nutjob...

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/internets-not-special-says-communications-minister-20100401-rg7h.html?autostart=1

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

From education revolution to pink bats to internet filtering, there's no bounds to what this Govt can achieve  :rolleyes: