Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
We've gone VOIP at all 3 centres with a hosted CISCO VOIP system!  As previously posted - quality very much depends on bandwidth! Same company that supplies our broadband does the VOIP - we're very happy with the quality of calls but not convinced that we save that much! We have 2Mbit SDSL links between our main site and the branches and 4Mbit out from our mainsite to the WWW. Considering we have up to 64 simultaneous workstations accessing the server over Terminal services with 48 phone handsets and 18 incoming lines, no complaints thus far about quality of call. And we've even started using the same BDSL for telehealth video conferences simultaneously!

To quote our IT people - whatever VOIP gateway you use needs to have a minimum qos for VOIP.

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline futurism

• Drives: Regretfully sold my GT3
  • Name: David
Sorry, I should add call quality is superb
Far better than landlines
I think they put better speakers and mics in the equipment as they know there's more bandwidth to use than copper switched phone networks.
Conferencing for hours for 'free' with 5 or more parties on the triangular speaker phone things works really well.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

This sounds a bit more complicated than I had expected.  Most of whats been posted here is way over my head  :confused:

I wonder if the NBN will have any impact with the QOS of VOIP.

I think the best thing for me to research is the reputation of the VOIP provider that quoted me. 

Offline alvchua

We have been using VOIP for 6 years using Cisco equipment over standard ADSL & Next G and its never been a problem using ilbc codec but it depends on how many calls you have flowing around. The problem with ADSL is unless you go for a private solution you cannot have end to end qos. I can understand why they are putting in a separate service for it as it will help but still you are trying to run a service over a contended medium.

A few years ago we went fibre and BDSL everywhere we could and ADSL everywhere else and then NextG for the dribs and drabs that couldn't get anything else. We have Telstras TIPT/SIP Connect product at most of the locations, and for those that don't have this, we toll bypass internally to leave from those locations that have SIP Connect. Staff have noticed the difference as we have bumped up the quality from ilbc to G711 because we have too much bandwidth now.

Telstra match the CID on the first 8 digits so you won't be able to set it to anything other than the numbers in your hundred number range.

I am more than happy to show you the various Cisco solutions we use and how we provision services and stuff and link the address books in with our active directory, toll bypass, etc etc.
Dwayne - I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and which company you currently use. Our contract is up for renewal and I'd love to know who the players are now and charges!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Dwayne - I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and which company you currently use. Our contract is up for renewal and I'd love to know who the players are now and charges!

please share

Offline alvchua

This sounds a bit more complicated than I had expected.  Most of whats been posted here is way over my head  :confused:

I wonder if the NBN will have any impact with the QOS of VOIP.

I think the best thing for me to research is the reputation of the VOIP provider that quoted me.
how many users are there likely to be and any branch interconnectivity required?

Offline CortinaD

I do it all myself.

Offline alvchua

I do it all myself.
wanna subcontract ur services?  :)

seriously though - who is your ISP? Personally I think our ISP is currently strangling us with costs!

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

how many users are there likely to be and any branch interconnectivity required?

I never intended on branch interconnectivity at this stage as i cant see that much of a benefit, but the system I was looking at was for 4 handsets initially plus another 3 at a later stage

With regards to VOIP -  is there any impact with HiCaps/Eftpos and fax

Offline alvchua

I never intended on branch interconnectivity at this stage as i cant see that much of a benefit, but the system I was looking at was for 4 handsets initially plus another 3 at a later stage

With regards to VOIP -  is there any impact with HiCaps/Eftpos and fax
afaik, HiCaps and EFTPOS won't run on VOIP hence u will still need a fax line to run ur HiCaps and EFTPOS. Fax in theory can run on a hosted fax service provider but no point if u r gonna have a fax line anyway IMO.

Latest Discussions

BOARD TOPIC MEMBER POSTED
[ Cars ] Spotted thread dkabab Today at 13:27
[ Racing ] 2017 Formula 1 Tipping game mondi Today at 10:27
[ McLaren ] 675 LT Spider JPG Yesterday at 23:20
[ Racing ] Seeking photos of Brian Ginger - died in 1993 London-Sydney Marathon Chicky01 Yesterday at 17:38
[ Ferrari ] 812 Superfast shack Yesterday at 16:57
[ Funny Cool Stoopid ] it's funny cause i'm drunk!! dodger Yesterday at 16:20
[ Racing ] Australian GT series dkabab Yesterday at 13:32
[ Off Topic ] Real Estate 360c Yesterday at 11:48
[ British Cars ] JAGUAR XJ220 tdc911 Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:36
[ Air Crash Investigations ] For those thinking of a private jet dkabab Fri, 24 Mar, 2017 - 17:32