Offline Westvic

Interesting
How do you know when buying any exotic  car  that it had suffered previous  crash damage or been an exotic hire car  At least the owner  of the 360 told me all about the damage  and that  he bought it as repairable write off when I asked  about the cars history.   What  can I do to find a car with no problems  .Will running  the cars vin number      into a place like car history  report dot com fully   disclose the full past history of a car

Offline Tiger

Did he show you the before and after shots?

It is worth having a trained eye go over a car you can tell if it has had paint and most have.
Same deal with service history. 40 or 50k's is nothing for a 360 with history. If it's only got12k from new I would smell a rat unless they can prove it. One owner had it for ten years and was always registered with a car club etc.
Mechanic who works on the car or the dealer can confirm the history. That sort of car will pull top $$$ and it should.
Roll on summer

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Where can Repairable write-offs be put back on the road now?????

There can't be that many states left that let them back on the road???

Offline Tiger

Where can Repairable write-offs be put back on the road now?????

There can't be that many states left that let them back on the road???

SA you can and any state that the repair was done before the cut off date was put in place.
You could have a vehicle that was fixed 8 years ago in NSW it is still on the road now.
Roll on summer

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Rule number one in the Ferrari hand book- There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Buy the cheapest and it will cost more to own than if you had paid more for a great example in the first place.

Stuffed if I know why people keep going down the "cheap" route. If you haven't got the $ to buy a great example then you really can't afford the car. These things are not falcons, they cost a bomb to fix when things go wrong. Buy a dog and they will go wrong a lot!

Offline TomE

Rule number one in the Ferrari hand book- There is no such thing as a cheap Ferrari. Buy the cheapest and it will cost more to own than if you had paid more for a great example in the first place.

Stuffed if I know why people keep going down the "cheap" route. If you haven't got the $ to buy a great example then you really can't afford the car. These things are not falcons, they cost a bomb to fix when things go wrong. Buy a dog and they will go wrong a lot!

It's a right of passage. You make the mistake once before you appreciate what a better example is worth. All part of the journey.

Offline Westvic

Hey
I have looked at all the available F 360  manual cars in Aust  ranging in price  from 100k to 150k and I can assure you that price does not  guarantee a top car as have seen poor quality cars at the top price end  as well as lower end.  I am a patient man so in no great hurry to purchase  but am getting frustrated at the quality of these cars at all price points.

Maybe will have to look at another brand and model such as a Lambogini  Gallado    manual gear box only as E drive   in early ones don't seem to be reliable but haven't driven one  so don't know if suitable  as don't like a bone jarring ride  like  the Porshe GT3 which was an early choice until I took a drive in one

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Hey
I have looked at all the available F 360  manual cars in Aust  ranging in price  from 100k to 150k and I can assure you that price does not  guarantee a top car as have seen poor quality cars at the top price end  as well as lower end.  I am a patient man so in no great hurry to purchase  but am getting frustrated at the quality of these cars at all price points.

Maybe will have to look at another brand and model such as a Lambogini  Gallado    manual gear box only as E drive   in early ones don't seem to be reliable but haven't driven one  so don't know if suitable  as don't like a bone jarring ride  like  the Porshe GT3 which was an early choice until I took a drive in one

I apologise for the tone of the post; but threads like this come up constantly on AE (particularly) and Ferrari Chat.
I have been around Ferraris for 40 years and have owned 12 of them over the last 30 years, in other words I have seen this play out a hundred times before. It goes like this:

1) Punter gets starry eyed and buys the first car he sees without getting it checked out by an (honest) expert first. Variation on that is the punter buys the cheapest car he can find without getting it checked out.

2) Punters car turns out to be a dog.

3) Punter takes it to a workshop to get sorted. Unfortunately punter isn't familiar with the Ferrari scene and is unaware that there are a great many workshops who have no idea what they are doing and/or are dishonest. Why wouldn't you assume a Ferrari shop actually knows how to work on them?  Note: There ARE some really great and knowledgable shops around; but you often get burnt working out who is who.

4) Punter gets a great list of things that need fixing at huge cost. Sometimes punter finds himself in a nightmare where the car isn't all as it seems. Lost count of the number of "cut and shut" Frankenstein cars that I have come across. How about a seriously expensive collector grade car that doesn't exist on Customs records. Why ? Because it came in to the country in multiple shipments of parts and was put back together here. Try and register it/export it etc and some awkwward questions will be asked.

5) Punter starts the journey of making the dog into a good car. Bills mount up to the point where he could have bought a great example for less money. His car still isn't fixed.

6) Punter gets ripped off by dishonest workshop or finds his car is poorly repaired. So many stories on this point that I could go on forever. Hmmmm, the V12 rebuild that was paid for; but wasn't actually done as invoiced. Engine needed to be rebuilt again before it could go back in car. Or the Daytona top end rebuild done at great expense that was actually little more than an engine bay clean and painted Cam covers......Gee it looked so pretty, how could it not have been beeen done ? :rolleyes: Or the 308 that went in for an engine rebuild and years later came back with a different engine..........etc, etc, etc

7) Punter cracks the shits and decides that all Ferraris are rubbish, everyone who works on them is a criminal and sells the car at a loss.  This is why old Ferraris have such a horrible reputation out there.

BTW you are quite correct in saying that a high price doesn't automatically equate to a great example. All would be revealed in a thorough pre purchase inspection done by an honest expert with no vested interest in the outcome.
It would be VERY hard to find a top manual 360 these days. You have to remember that these cars are anything up to 16 years old now and have had many owners. As they get older and the number of owners accumulate the list of deferred maintenance items gets longer. Good examples are now hard to find. There were very few manuals ordered in Australia (I bought one new in 2001 and it was hard to sell because it was manual) so that makes finding any Oz delivered manual cars hard. Finding a good Oz manual car these days is akin to finding a needle in a haystack. I am sure they exist; but the search could be a long one. If you have your heart set on an Oz manual car perhaps put a "wanted" ad on Carsales etc. Oh, very importantly, join the Ferrari Club of Australia and get to know the scene. You may well find the right car through contacts developed there.

All things considered I would buy a 430 in preference to a 360 if the budget allows. The 430 is a far superior car even though it is a development of the basic 360 Modena.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Bloody War and Peace!!!

I'm on my phone.....

Offline Westvic

360c
I appreciate your advice and knowledge  about the marque ===thanks    The repairable write off Ferrari was recommended to me by one of the reputable ferrari   workshops as he does  most of maintainance on the car  so maybe did not know about the insurance history of the car  when he made his recommendation