Offline mtarone

I'm sure the Porsche option list is not quite in the same league as Ferrari's, and I agree that certain options should be standard on Ferrari's (I'm looking at you Speciale Parking Sensors ~ $5700!), but I am glad we are able to customize these cars exactly how we want them. :)

Offline app

The insane cost of options that come standard on many $20k cars these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0UeRFGt-HU

As someone that has been associated with the marque for a long time, do you think a time will ever come where modern Ferrari buyers will see they are getting bent over over big time and give up buying them?  Or are the typical buyers not conscious of the cost and/or just keen to fulfill the image side of having a modern Ferrari no matter the cost?

I suppose it would come down to available substitutes that ticks all the same boxes.  Obviously a big advantage Ferrari has is it is able to capitalise on the brand alone.  Although with its marketing and sale tactics of late I wonder if it's sustainable :scratchchin:

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

I'm sure the Porsche option list is not quite in the same league as Ferrari's, and I agree that certain options should be standard on Ferrari's (I'm looking at you Speciale Parking Sensors ~ $5700!), but I am glad we are able to customize these cars exactly how we want them. :)

That's the main point - we are paying for the right to customise.  Of course parking sensors aren't worth $5700 but the reason some  don't buy them isn't only because of the money - some guys don't like them because they spoil the clean look of the bumpers. I don't like paying crazy prices for options, but I'd be even less impressed if I couldn't choose exactly what I want on a car.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

As someone that has been associated with the marque for a long time, do you think a time will ever come where modern Ferrari buyers will see they are getting bent over over big time and give up buying them?  Or are the typical buyers not conscious of the cost and/or just keen to fulfill the image side of having a modern Ferrari no matter the cost?

I suppose it would come down to available substitutes that tickets all the same boxes.  Obviously a big advantage Ferrari has is it is able to capitalise on the brand alone.  Although with its marketing and sale tactics of late I wonder if it's sustainable :scratchchin:

There's a certain element that actually get off on how extravagant they can afford to be.

After all, it's the biggest brand in the world, and one of lifes ultimate luxuries, it makes you feel even better to load your plate higher....

Smorgasbord syndrome!

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully

I suppose it would come down to available substitutes that tickets all the same boxes.  Obviously a big advantage Ferrari has is it is able to capitalise on the brand alone.  Although with its marketing and sale tactics of late I wonder if it's sustainable :scratchchin:

Hard to say. These days the people who buy these things are distinctly different from those that bought them in the 1970's and earlier. In the early days the people that bought them were true enthusiasts who knew about the long history of the marque and were prepared to put up with a lot of Italian eccentricity and dare I say it, unreliability. They were highly likely to be members of the Ferrari Club, or Register as it was known in those days.  The cars were probably even more expensive in relative terms than they are today. They were rare and exclusive; but people didn't buy them to ponce about the cafe strips. They actually used them as intended.

Fast forward to today and the buyer is different. A very large proportion of them are just buying the badge and the "image" and know or care little about the history behind the badge. The cars are far less exclusive as the 355 models and beyond sold in ever increasing numbers. The cars are much cheaper in relative terms, so more people can afford them. Fewer buyers use the cars in anger and some people rarely use them beyond poncing about and being "seen". These sorts of buyers will keep buying them as long as the image and the badge holds an attraction; but the competition is aggressive now……………… and often cheaper too. The average new Ferrari in Australia reputedly has $100k of options fitted. You wouldn't buy a car without any options as some would be considered essential- like those $5700 parking sensors. I tried as hard as I could to stay away fom the options; but mine still has something like $40k of them :(

As for me, I buy what I like to drive; but I am more conscious of the costs. I will happily spend the money if I think it represents fair value; but if I think I am getting bent over the table I won't buy at all or will try and find a way to do it at fair value.
I actually think Ferrari has a negative image now. I looked at the opposition this time around; but there is still something undefinable about the driving experience that the opposition still can't match. If and when they do capture that same driving experience I will happily buy the opposition.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
They actually used them as intended.

I'm not too sure about that. There were plenty of cars "in the old days" that just did zero mileage....and would never see the light of day, never mind the rain! Sure, the ones that were driven might have been driven like the fast and furious, but there were still far too many that were babied and never used, just like now.

I think the main difference is the enthusiasm has dropped off and the 'real drivers', for want of better words, have been scared off by the police.

The club is a shadow of its former self, with the real Ferrari enthusiasts being few and far between.

In the 80s and before, it was all about the journey, now it's about the destination. No doubt about it.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

In the 80s and before, it was all about the journey,
I wish I was around in those days.  Would have really enjoyed the track days.  You guys certainly had a heap of fun!

It's just too expensive nowadays for a club like FCA to organise.  The fun Police are making it harder and harder IMO.  Would be interesting if possible to compare the cost of track hire then to today in todays $'s

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

I'm not too sure about that. There were plenty of cars "in the old days" that just did zero mileage....and would never see the light of day, never mind the rain! Sure, the ones that were driven might have been driven like the fast and furious, but there were still far too many that were babied and never used, just like now.

There were some for sure; but IMHO the % is far greater now. In the old days quite a few of those that "disappeared" were off the road as a result of restoration or some sort of mechanical mayhem ;)   It is not only the track element that was stronger back then, concour was too. The concour events were huge and a lot of cars were babied as that was the owners big thing.

I think the main difference is the enthusiasm has dropped off and the 'real drivers', for want of better words, have been scared off by the police.

The club is a shadow of its former self, with the real Ferrari enthusiasts being few and far between.

Very sad; but true :(

In the 80s and before, it was all about the journey, now it's about the destination. No doubt about it.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

I wish I was around in those days.  Would have really enjoyed the track days.  You guys certainly had a heap of fun!

It's just too expensive nowadays for a club like FCA to organise.  The fun Police are making it harder and harder IMO.  Would be interesting if possible to compare the cost of track hire then to today in todays $'s

We are glad you were not around. If you were, we wouldn't have been able to win anything :p 

I'm not sure I agree on the cost aspect with track days and the FCA. The club has a large membership base; but few are active and very, very few are interested in track days. In theory the club has the numbers to make it viable; but in practice it's lack of interest that is the issue.

On the cost of track days, I remember when the Fox's bought Phillip Island and a day went from a few grand to nearly ten grand in a short space of time.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Seven very solid days on the fastest, least policed roads in Australia during the last fortnight and the most exotic car I saw was a previous model 3 series. I'm not sure what that proves, but I've decided its a bit silly owning a Ferrari if you don't take it out of town - and most don't.