Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Well... having missed the boat on the 991 RS allocation, I've taken a leap of faith and put down a deposit on one of these. I say leap of faith as I've only ever had 911s as my last  4 Porsches and never driven a Cayman in any guise but I think they look pretty cool and the reviews are enticing . Specced GT Silver metallic but may change that.   I like the fact its manuel too.
Long wait though. Feb 2016 build with May delivery.

Awesome Ruskee. Can't wait to see it!
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
I know it's just badge engineering and everything, but I'd get sick of explaining to people that it isn't a 911.....and then making myself believe it's as good or better!

1/2 the price.

Is the 991 double the car?

Actually I was reading a post on Fchat last night from a guy who has a heap of cars including a 288 GTO and a 308. And he thought that the 308 was 80% of the car that the 288GTO was!

Talk about a big price differential.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline dkabab

1/2 the price.

Actually I was reading a post on Fchat last night from a guy who has a heap of cars including a 288 GTO and a 308. And he thought that the 308 was 80% of the car that the 288GTO was!

I dunno, those 308's are skyrocketing remember

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
1/2 the price.

That's the point I was making. If I had a boxster or cayman, I'd always know I did it for the money and didn't buy the real deal.

In fact, that's what I think every time I see one.

As for trying to work out if a 308 is 80% of a 288GTO, you can do that with any number of cars and the numbers just don't add up.....but they're classic cars.

Is a Commodore 80% of a F12? 50%? The whole theory there just doesn't work.

But back to the Cayman.....I've never driven one, but i'll bet they're awesome....but I know how they're viewed and most people I know consider it a poor man's Porsche.

All I'm saying is, rightly or wrongly, that would give me the shits.

Having said that, I've had it said about my 308 too (except Ferrari...not Porsche) :)
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Good move Ruskee.

I wouldn't hesitate to pick the gt4 over the GT3RS.

Perhaps not a 997.2 but definitely over a 991.

And great colour choice.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

Would be a great car to own, I don't think they're an inferior product to the 911 just different, you don't think that way about the different model Ferraris for instance.
I think it started when Porsche brought out the Boxster as a deliberate cheaper model, they haven't been able to shrug off that perception since, everything they make other than a 911 is seen by many as "not as good"

Offline JBO

• Drives: Something that doesn't meet my aspirations...yet...
Anyone who has driven the current gen boxster and cayman would know that not only are the not a poor second to a 911, but that in certain trim levels, they're better. Who cares what other people think. When you're behind the wheel, blasting along your favourite road, everyone else can get f*cked!
The general public is a terrible barometer of taste. Trust your own sensibilities.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
That's the point I was making. If I had a boxster or cayman, I'd always know I did it for the money and didn't buy the real deal.

In fact, that's what I think every time I see one.

As for trying to work out if a 308 is 80% of a 288GTO, you can do that with any number of cars and the numbers just don't add up.....but they're classic cars.

Is a Commodore 80% of a F12? 50%? The whole theory there just doesn't work.

But back to the Cayman.....I've never driven one, but i'll bet they're awesome....but I know how they're viewed and most people I know consider it a poor man's Porsche.

All I'm saying is, rightly or wrongly, that would give me the shits.

Having said that, I've had it said about my 308 too (except Ferrari...not Porsche) :)

I am old enough to remember your BB512 days where you told the V8 Ferrari owners that a real Ferrari only had 12 cylinders :p

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I am old enough to remember your BB512 days where you told the V8 Ferrari owners that a real Ferrari only had 12 cylinders :p

That is funny.....

Offline looney

• Drives: VW Beetle
Would be a great car to own, I don't think they're an inferior product to the 911 just different, you don't think that way about the different model Ferraris for instance.

I don't know l about that.  The California has a hell of a stigma