Offline M308

• Degranged

• Name: Scott Thomson
As far as I can see, apart from Shannons & the SA DTEI auctions, not much action going on in the number plate market in recent months (maybe even the entire 2014 year). Yes, the Historic Plates auction was held a few months ago with some great plates, but AFAIK, not much success with reserves being met at the fall of the hammer.

I still get plenty of calls from owners of some very low & great plates wanting to sell, but I don't see them being released for sale with anyone else.

I wish I was still in the plate game to get things going, and get my previous competition off their ass again ;) :p

In my eyes, it was always healthy competition that was a bit of fun & made him work that little bit harder :D

Just though I might get some discussion going, so any thoughts on what's been going on in any states?

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
As far as I can see, apart from Shannons & the SA DTEI auctions, not much action going on in the number plate market in recent months (maybe even the entire 2014 year). Yes, the Historic Plates auction was held a few months ago with some great plates, but AFAIK, not much success with reserves being met at the fall of the hammer.

I still get plenty of calls from owners of some very low & great plates wanting to sell, but I don't see them being released for sale with anyone else.

I wish I was still in the plate game to get things going, and get my previous competition off their ass again ;) :p

In my eyes, it was always healthy competition that was a bit of fun & made him work that little bit harder :D

Just though I might get some discussion going, so any thoughts on what's been going on in any states?
Why did you get out of it?
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

Offline M308

• Degranged

Why did you get out of it?
All of my plate businesses were registered & owned under a family business that I was a director of, but things went sour approx. 13-14 months ago.
After 20 years of service, I subsequently ceased working there early this year.
I build them up from scratch (which I am extremely proud of) with some great success & have met some great new friends, which I am very greatful for!
I still love plates, but a new career path is only a few weeks away.
One door closes, another opens ;)

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
The only decent venue for heritage plate sales is the Shannons auctions ATM. The downside of that is of course the fees.

The market continues to be very soft.

Offline fivesix

All of my plate businesses were registered & owned under a family business that I was a director of, but things went sour approx. 13-14 months ago.
After 20 years of service, I subsequently ceased working there early this year.
I build them up from scratch (which I am extremely proud of) with some great success & have met some great new friends, which I am very greatful for!
I still love plates, but a new career path is only a few weeks away.
One door closes, another opens ;)

You cant broker on the side? Too hard to invest the time?

You are responsible for my addiction, by helping me get my first plates. You're alright for a bloody Port Adelaide supporter...

Offline M308

• Degranged

Is ther anything stopping you getting back in ?
I would love to, but I need to put all my time & effort into my new career. It's going to be a very busy, but exciting next 12 months.....
You cant broker on the side? Too hard to invest the time?

You are responsible for my addiction, by helping me get my first plates. You're alright for a bloody Port Adelaide supporter...
haha....It makes me very happy to know that I have helped quite a few people out....that's what life & friends are all about ;)

Offline M308

• Degranged

The only decent venue for heritage plate sales is the Shannons auctions ATM. The downside of that is of course the fees.

The market continues to be very soft.
Yeah, it seems to have stayed pretty steady over the last couple of years in Vic. Average 3 digits seem to still bring very high $30k's - mid $40's. IMO, they "should" be in the mid $40's - low $50's. Supply and demand has been quite a factor though, as people just expect that another 3 digit will come up in the next auction.......that won't be happening in the near future though ;)
I think that anyone who has picked one up in the $40k's have picked themselves up a bargain for future investment. Just depends on the commissions that Shannons charge.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Yeah, it seems to have stayed pretty steady over the last couple of years in Vic. Average 3 digits seem to still bring very high $30k's - mid $40's. IMO, they "should" be in the mid $40's - low $50's. Supply and demand has been quite a factor though, as people just expect that another 3 digit will come up in the next auction.......that won't be happening in the near future though ;)
I think that anyone who has picked one up in the $40k's have picked themselves up a bargain for future investment. Just depends on the commissions that Shannons charge.

The other thing of note is that very few good plates seem to be coming up for sale. My guess is the good numbers are held by people who don't need to firesale them in the current market. You still have to pay up if you want the great plates.

I haven't looked into Shannons fees for many years. Last time I did the commission was something like 15% and they insisted number plates had to be "no reserve". Might be different these days, not sure.

Offline M308

• Degranged

The other thing of note is that very few good plates seem to be coming up for sale. My guess is the good numbers are held by people who don't need to firesale them in the current market. You still have to pay up if you want the great plates.

I haven't looked into Shannons fees for many years. Last time I did the commission was something like 15% and they insisted number plates had to be "no reserve". Might be different these days, not sure.
I'll hold an auction in Melbourne and charge 10% sellers commission and 5% buyers commission.....problem solved :p
I recon I could get a few "special" plates in an Vic Heritage Plates auction ;)

That was one thing that I had a "huge" amount of requests for in Victoria, a private auction for just Heritage Plates! Had my auctioneer, had quite a few plates ready to go......would of been quite a success. Maybe I'll do it again one day, when I retire :)