Offline RMV

• A Country Member

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Between this and the uncertainty over MH370, I wonder if we'll return to the days of three person aircrews (instead of two pilots and an FE, they'll be three pilots - Capt, FO and a SO).

They should.

Offline dkabab

In a wide body plane sure, but only 2 Seats in an a320

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

In a wide body plane sure, but only 2 Seats in an a320

I'm sure the A320 has a jumpseat. A mate's dad was an Ansett A320 captain used take his kids on flights with him in the cockpit all the time during school hols. I've sat in the jumpseat of B737s quite a few times for entire flights... before 9/11, though.

Offline Steve355F1

• Drives: 355F1 GTS
I'm sure the A320 has a jumpseat. A mate's dad was an Ansett A320 captain used take his kids on flights with him in the cockpit all the time during school hols. I've sat in the jumpseat of B737s quite a few times for entire flights... before 9/11, though.

Correct.

I'll check with my Jetstar captain friend when he comes over tomorrow, but I'm sure he's told me in the past that their procedure is whenever one of the pilots leaves the cockpit the senior flight attendant enters the cockpit until the pilot returns. That way one pilot is never alone on the flight deck.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

OK, here's my theory. Andreas Lubitz was a mummy's boy who didn't get on with his dad. Command pilot treated him like the 300 hour rookie he was and he didn't like it as evidenced by his terse replies. When the PIC took a leak, he thought he'd show him who's boss by locking him out for a few minutes. He soon realised he would be fired anyway for his stunt and couldn't bear the thought of the embarrassment that would bring him and his family. So he decided to end it all the only way he could.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

http://m.theage.com.au/world/germanwings-plane-crash-pilot-who-crashed-airbus-a320-into-french-alps-was-having-relationship-problems-20150327-1m94qw.html

Either way, let's hope rules re toilet breaks and other visits by aircrew to the cabin in-flight are introduced and strictly enforced.

Steve, look forward to hearing what your friend says. I've observed one pilot left in the cockpit (with an FA acting as buffer in the doorway at exit and re-entry) a number of times.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Correct.

I'll check with my Jetstar captain friend when he comes over tomorrow, but I'm sure he's told me in the past that their procedure is whenever one of the pilots leaves the cockpit the senior flight attendant enters the cockpit until the pilot returns. That way one pilot is never alone on the flight deck.

I thought this was actually law, must be in the US only that it's federal law. .....

Offline RMV

• A Country Member

I thought this was actually law, must be in the US only that it's federal law. .....

Yes, law in US. Not here or Europe.