Poll

Would you install a GPS Tracker in your car?

Yes
5 (33.3%)
No-Don't need one
1 (6.7%)
No-Too Expensive
2 (13.3%)
No-Don't like the big brother aspect
6 (40%)
No-Because there are no insurance benefits
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Offline RamSpeedAU

• RamSpeed.Com.Au

• Drives: European Cars ONLY
  • Name: RamSpeed.Com.Au
I know of few people I talked to, they want access to information, not really protection. Where their partners are, where they have been, kids, employees, sales reps and so on. Legalities aside, I think quite a few people want tracking for that reason alone.

Offline Chemical Man

There are exotics being stolen, Lara Bingle's Aston(stolen by a 14 year old  :boggled:), the red Carrera in Perth, which was found burned to a crisp, the Ferrari that was stolen from Crown when the valet gave the keys to the wrong person and many more.
I really don't know why you wouldn't want a gps in your car, especially if your cars worth $200k plus, a measly $300 is nothing to provide peace of mind, $300 wont even get you an oil change  :p
But then again some would rather find their car burned, then find their car in a ditch, thrashed and smelling like beer.

Offline dodger

• Tommy Gunna

I know of few people I talked to, they want access to information, not really protection. Where their partners are, where they have been, kids, employees, sales reps and so on. Legalities aside, I think quite a few people want tracking for that reason alone.

Thats a whole different subject with significant privacy issues :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
Most of our business is fleet management.

Not really a big brother thing.

For example:-

Sending jobs to Mobile Data Terminals (to the closest available vehicle)
Mobile Data Terminals have built in navigators to direct the employee to the job

Generating reports based on
*Hours worked
*Distances Travelled
*Idle Times
*Fleet Utilisation
*Carbon Emissions Reporting
*Times Taken to do jobs
*Total Hours Spent at Customer site
*Average Hours per customer visit
*FBT Reporting
*Service Due Alerts - Reports based on Odometer Readings or Hour Meter Readings (in the case of machinery)
*Alerts based on Service level agreements.
*****Example:- Vehicle A  needs to be at customer x every Tuesday morning at 10am until 11am to maintain refrigeration unit. Alert if this SLA has not been met.  Generate a report at contract review to prove to our customer that we met our SLA's
*Monitoring Refrigerated Transport Temperatures and generating alerts if temps are out of spec
*Monitoring Council Garbage trucks for the location of bin lifts..Logging any maintenance issues such as pot holes etc.
*Monitoring Council Street Sweepers for when certain roads were swept
*Generating capacity reports..How Many Garbage bins do we need to pick up, therefore what is the best route to do it and how many trucks do we need.

There are heaps of applications in fleet management and OH&S,  hence that is where our business is at.

It is quite complex developing these applications and hardware solutions, but i suppose that is what separates IntelliTrac from all the small players trying to get in on our business.

Most of our competitors are focusing on the security aspect using very simple devices and software.

It seems now that you guys have confirmed that they are wasting their time.

Thank's for your opinions fella's. I think you just confirmed my suspicions.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I will be buying a couple when I get around to it.
Ive actually put a lot of thought into how they work and what they should do.

I think the market would be a lot bigger for hot rods and street machines. Cars that people have put more work into the themselves. A stock Ferrari can be replaced by another stock Ferrari but you cant spend 1 to 10 years building a car yourself and not be attached to it...

I dont know about this calling you for a location and then being told by your people that they cant tell you where your car is, I would go absolutely mental ???????

I thought this was something that we could locate ourselves as an owner at any time, once it was fitted. That is what would be a big seller....
people dont mind calling the police but theyd like to be able to go out and hunt down their car themselves as well. If the police are busy with something like a home invasion in your area, theyre not gonna track down your car even if they know where it is at that time.

The big brother thing isnt part of having one of these units fitted. You own it so you decide what it does. Unless you tell them, big brother doesn't know its in your car and what it does...

When big brother demands you fit them, then worry about it.
So if youre insurance company offers you cheaper insurance if you fit one but it has to record driving habits. Go somewhere else.

Sure, tell them you have one fitted and ask for cheaper insurance but tell them its a tracker only, it doesnt record anything.

If you can make a device that owners can track themselves and sell them for $299 you will sell thousands and i'd be happy to go out to the shows, clubs and assosiactions and sell them for you....

If people have to call the police to find out where their car is and then have to rely on the police to locate their car you'll sell 20 and its not a product id be interested in selling.

What you need is the right product with the right marketing, maybe thats why they havent been selling...

I have been sitting on a multi million dollar idea for these things for the last 6 months but I'm not involved in electronics. I have a friend who is an electronics engineer who could make what I want so Ive put it on hold while im doing other things.

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend

There is a product available at $299.
Insert a prepaid sim card and off you go.

No other fees required.

See details at http://intellitrac.com.au/ImagineGPS-CT123.html

With our products you can have the base model at $299  See at http://intellitrac.com.au/ImagineGPS-CT123.html

An internet tracking version is available at $599  see
http://intellitrac.com.au/ImagineGPS-STM.html

But here we provide the sim card for $15 per month.  Becuase we find most people can't get a data enabled sim card on the right plan for any less that this.  Those that claim they can then forget about it, don't pay it etc.  When the car is stolen they blame us for not being able to track there car. Worse case they get a sim card on the wrong plan and get a bill for $500 after the first month, and once again blame us.

Then there is a $120 per year fee for us to maintain and run the back end. BTW for those of you who think its really easy to do it with google maps.  Give it a try and learn like many other before you.  Google maps are not free to use for GPS tracking purposes.  The licence is an annual licence and it is not worth paying unless you have 1000 vehicles on your server.  How do they find out?...Easy!  give it a try and find out for yourselves.

Then there is the top of the range version at $1875 including, professional installation, sim card, internet access and 24/7 security monitoring.
See
http://intellitrac.com.au/ImagineGPS-SVT.html

Things that most people don't quite get.

1. Products need to be tested and approved on networks and have A-Tick approval. This costs alot of money
2. Map data licencing costs alot of money
3. A Rack of servers in a Tier one Data Centre costs money
4. A team of software developers and engineers costs money.

Most of our "short lived" competitors import the non sense available on ebay
Then find out it is unrelieable and their service calls and irrate customers are beyond their wildest dreams
Then the ACMA comes knocking for an audit because their product is not approved
Then Google starts knocking because they are not allowed to use google maps for free

It all gets too hard  and off they disappear.

Online alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Your detailed explanation makes perfect sense. Up until reading your post, I certainly thought the same with getting it off flea bay and playing around with it but honest do not have the time to muck around with software etc that does not work! It would irritate the living crap out of me!

Not sure this is a market that could be tapped too but I know I get very annoyed when my accountant asks me % business use to work out deductions on the lease of my daily driver and would think that if I had a gps device with traceable maps and trips etc, it would save me keeping a log book for the prescribed ?90 days every 3 years!! Unless of course one were to "fudge" mileage and % business use etc then the gps tracker would be a disaster!

Just my 2 cents!

Will be putting an order in for ur entry level device together with the inflatable car covers when they come, Dean. :-)

Offline 98octane

I already bought my daughters personalised plates for when they turn 18. They are only 3 and 1 now...

I assume you won't be giving either of them your [PLESUR] plate?   :p

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend

Your detailed explanation makes perfect sense. Up until reading your post, I certainly thought the same with getting it off flea bay and playing around with it but honest do not have the time to muck around with software etc that does not work! It would irritate the living crap out of me!

Not sure this is a market that could be tapped too but I know I get very annoyed when my accountant asks me % business use to work out deductions on the lease of my daily driver and would think that if I had a gps device with traceable maps and trips etc, it would save me keeping a log book for the prescribed ?90 days every 3 years!! Unless of course one were to "fudge" mileage and % business use etc then the gps tracker would be a disaster!

Just my 2 cents!

Will be putting an order in for ur entry level device together with the inflatable car covers when they come, Dean. :-)

On our website we have a comparison between our software and one of our major competitors (not flea bay type) but an actual competitor in the SME fleet management market.

You will notice the difference in software offering.

http://intellitrac.com.au/ImagineGPS-ChooseUs.html

Online alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
Hi Dean,

you may or may not already have a product suitable but in my work as a GP, we frequently see parents of kids with Autism, Down's etc and also people with parents with dementia who would probably find useful to have a GPS tracking aid in case their loved ones go missing. Not sure if the electronics can be put in a small enough package to be used eg. bracelet/pendant or even incorporating it into a medic-alert style device.

If there is already such a device that is small enough and wearable, please let me know and if not, I'd be surprised if there isn't a market for this!