Offline j15

thats awesome

are cars with big downforce harder to drive? why so?

Downforce generated by big aero parts only works at higher speeds so the challenge I guess is trying to drive fast enough so that you enter the performance envelope of your aero parts. Try doing that while managing tyre and brake temps, watching traffic, plus the myriad of other things you have to be watching for to avoid a stuff up.

I remember Ianb describing how difficult is was to get comfortable with transitioning from relying on mechanical grip in a corner to relying on downforce for traction. It sounded like a big mental hurdle because the downforce from the wings might only come good at over say 200kmh/h in the fastest turn, which could be at the outer limits of the mechanical grip that you've been relying on up until then.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Downforce generated by big aero parts only works at higher speeds so the challenge I guess is trying to drive fast enough so that you enter the performance envelope of your aero parts. Try doing that while managing tyre and brake temps, watching traffic, plus the myriad of other things you have to be watching for to avoid a stuff up.

I remember Ianb describing how difficult is was to get comfortable with transitioning from relying on mechanical grip in a corner to relying on downforce for traction. It sounded like a big mental hurdle because the downforce from the wings might only come good at over say 200kmh/h in the fastest turn, which could be at the outer limits of the mechanical grip that you've been relying on up until then.

Yes, all true. Allan Simonsen taught me that very early on in my tuition.
It is a bit counter intuitive; but you have to drive it fast enough to get to a point where the downforce starts to kick in and the brakes and tyres are warm enough to work properly. It is actually much harder to drive the car slowly under that magic level than it is to drive it very fast where everything is working as it should.
Once you get your head around that it isn't difficult to drive at the edge of my ability. Taking it to the edge of the cars ability is another matter altogether. Watching somebody like Allan Simonsen steer the thing was magic and something I will never forget. The great professional drivers have a real gift, no doubt about it.

Offline dkabab

An easy way to differentiate between the SVR and the GTR is that the SVR had no lights and 2 small roof scoops, whereas the GTR did have lights and one large roof scoop.

so whats better.... svr or gtr?

this was the yellow gtr

Offline sinkman

TLA Diablo SVR

The silver Murcie in the background, any information on that car?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

20 year old race car, and it's a Lambo, and it would be slow compared to today's GT3 machinery.

Danger Will Robinson!!!!

I shudder to think what an engine rebuild on that thing would cost. You can bet the Smifths ran it on the smell of an oily rag too.

If you want to look at it fine; but if you actually want to use it....... cubic dollars.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
I've moved this to Carbon as I'm negotiating on this car.

David Chidlow is the owner. Same guy I bought my Roadster from.

Massimo has been the chief mechanic on it since it arrived in Australia so he knows it in and out. I had him inspect it.
It's exactly as he saw it/touched it last. It was very rough then and no work done on it since. Also, it's only done 100km since.

It will need full recomissioning. Plus it's been repainted mettalic grey from gloss back.

It needs about $50k in mechanicals plus the cosmetics.

We worked it out, the car is worth $350k-$360k max. And that is in line with world SVR values for rough cars.

We'll see how my negotiations with David go. I'd like to run this in the '90s GT Legends series in Europe.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter

Massimo has been the chief mechanic on it since it arrived in Australia so he knows it in and out. I had him inspect it.
It's exactly as he saw it/touched it last. It was very rough then and no work done on it since. Also, it's only done 100km since.

It will need full recomissioning. Plus it's been repainted mettalic grey from gloss back.

We worked it out, the car is worth $350k-$360k max. And that is in line with world SVR values for rough cars.

We'll see how my negotiations with David go. I'd like to run this in the '90s GT Legends series in Europe.

Wowie.... Good luck!
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline robertb

• Poll Dancer

Quote from: andecorp link=topic=55970.msg1489306#msg1489306 date=14642642

I'd like to run this in the '90s GT Legends series in Europe.
[/quote
Fantastic,as I know Jarrah is keen to get a few Australians and their  cars into the series and your profile would help the series no end towards that.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car

Best of luck.

This is a great buy if you can get it.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club

Best of luck.

This is a great buy if you can get it.

Why is it a great buy? It is clapped out and twice the price of a 360 N-GT which is faster and far rarer.