Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides
  • The only wrong decision is Regret

• Drives: Cars
  • Name: Knob Head
While watching one of the English car shows, I got thinking about a comment made about the Gallardo SE, the presenter said how great the SE was over the 2003 - 2005 model Gallardos, then he said that in 2006 ALL Gallardos will come with the same specs as the SE did in 05-06. Just did a quick search and found this on WIKI (yes I know never to trust it), can anyone confirm what it says is true?

WIKI says   "For the MY2006 (launched in late 2005) Lamborghini introduced many changes to the car to counter some criticisms garnered by the press and owners. These were derived from the limited edition Gallardo SE. The exhaust system was changed to a more sporty one (including a flap to make it quieter around town), the suspension was revised and a new steering rack was fitted, the engine power was increased by 20 bhp to a maximum of 512 brake horsepower (382 kW), the biggest change was an overall lowering of the gearing especially in 1st to 5th. The result was a much improved car, it handled and turned in better, sounded better under full throttle and the extra power and lower gearing turned an already fast car into a seriously quick one."

And is there any other changes?

Basically this means that an 06 Gallardo is a very different car to an 04 Gallardo? A much better car? Anyone driven both?
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Basically this means that an 06 Gallardo is a very different car to an 04 Gallardo? A much better car? Anyone driven both?

Not much in the way of driving but have spent heaps of time paxing in several G's being driven as they should, the SE/'06 is a good leap over the '04 - to me the biggest things were the gear ratios and sound both huge improvements - I think in the '04 you could get to 110kph in 1st (and reverse :D ) which meant you really needed a decent rolling start to get away fast, but the '06 was decidedly quicker off the mark with 1st only getting you to 70kph IIRC.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Thanks Ash

What about the non-SE version 06 model? Is it true it shares everything mechanically the same as the SE version? EG: the extra 20hp, closer gear ratios ect????

I know what Wiki says, just want to know if someone here knows for sure.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
What about the non-SE version 06 model? Is it true it shares everything mechanically the same as the SE version? EG: the extra 20hp, closer gear ratios ect????

I believe that's pretty much correct, there might be a few differences but other than trim I can't think of them right now - BTW the trim on the SE was sensational.

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Offline Jamezilla

• Drives: BMWs for everyone!
  • Name: James
I have spent plenty of time in gen 1 and gen 2 Gallardos - and they are chalk and cheese.
The power delivery, gear change (both manual) and particularly the noise are MUCH better in the later cars. Reliability was greatly improved, particularly around the clutch/gearbox and general build quality.

The tall gearing in the early cars was just a bit silly. As Ash says - you could do 100km/h in 1st!

Mind you - you did get a tape deck in the gen 1 cars, which means every day is Bon Jovi day :)

IIRC the SE and Nera were special editions of the gen 2 cars. Mechanically identical - but with trim/colour/wheel changes. The Callisto rims were released for the Nera I think?

J

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Thanks James

Now that brings up another question.

Are these the Gen1 wheels?
http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?Cr=9&R=8220191&keywords=&trecs=29&__sid=12A8B45267A6&__Ns=pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|0||pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Qpb=true&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&seot=1&__N=1216 1246 1247 1252 1282 4294964766 4294964765&silo=1011

And are these the Gen2 wheels (callisto)?
http://www.carsales.com.au/Tig/UI/PagePopup.aspx?R=8911483&PhotoID=8637350&h_mid=4415219&f_mid=&c_mid=4414491&pid=140973&tabID=304744&tsrc=allcarhome

Or are they just different optional wheels?
All of the 06 Gallardos I see have the, what i think are callisto wheels. And all the 04's have the wheel that i refer as the "cookie cutter wheel"
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Wattens

• Free Mustache Rides

Great thanks guys, Gen 2 Gallardo FTW.

Sorry got another question, Does the Gen2 have launch control? I think the SE does from my internet searches but once again, the sources are not very reliable.
Enjoying Life!!!!

Offline Richie

• I need Lambo drugs...

• Drives: my wife crazy
Kujotk,

See that you are quite deep into the info now.... interested in getting one? I like it better than the 360 though... and I cannot tell you how much diff between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 as I jumped from a Gen1 to a Superleggera... and that's a huge difference...

richie