Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Ande, have you driven anything with a relatively new double clutch gearbox? PDK or DSG or whatever the dancing donkeys call it, the only thing quicker & smoother is the Tesla gearbox 😉

IMHO The Lamborghini thump is good fun for about 5% of the time, the rest it's as rough as guts and rightly called on it. What's the bet the Aventador replacement has double clutch!
I've driven lots of double clutch cars. That's a perfect gearbox for an every dayer. Like the Hurracan. The Aventador is an event car, certainly not a DD. I think the gearbox suits it perfectly for what it is. Also, you have to adjust your driving style to it to enjoy it. That's why I hated the car for the first 1,000km until I did that.
It's a brutal car with a brutal gearbox (same feeling as when you slam through the gears of a manual car) that you use it to play with. Certainly a gearbox like this would not suit a DD in the slightest.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
I've driven lots of double clutch cars. That's a perfect gearbox for an every dayer. Like the Hurracan. The Aventador is an event car, certainly not a DD. I think the gearbox suits it perfectly for what it is. Also, you have to adjust your driving style to it to enjoy it. That's why I hated the car for the first 1,000km until I did that.
It's a brutal car with a brutal gearbox (same feeling as when you slam through the gears of a manual car) that you use it to play with. Certainly a gearbox like this would not suit a DD in the slightest.

Andrei, you have to remember all the opposition now run double clutch gearbox in their cars and many of those would also be described as occaisional use "event cars". The old single clutch arrangement is yesterday's technology and attempting to justify it is making excuses IMHO. The car would be so much better with a dual clutch box and I'm sure they will have one in the next model.

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
A "Claytons update" if ever I have seen one  :doh:

Lol.

Another excuse to squeeze out some last sales.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
Andrei, you have to remember all the opposition now run double clutch gearbox in their cars and many of those would also be described as occaisional use "event cars". The old single clutch arrangement is yesterday's technology and attempting to justify it is making excuses IMHO. The car would be so much better with a dual clutch box and I'm sure they will have one in the next model.

I agree.

Let's bring on the future.
May the Horse be with you....

Offline Fortis

• 300kph+ club

I agree with both of you, the single clutch is a crappy box but the SV woudn't have the character that it does without it, it would be a different car, the DCT would soften it and I wouldn't like it, I don't like the box but the SV needs it, the more I drive the car the more I get addicted to it, the perfect scenario would be a DCT with the character of the SV single clutch in Corsa mode for example and the smooth changes of the DCT in Strada.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

I agree with both of you, the single clutch is a crappy box but the SV woudn't have the character that it does without it, it would be a different car, the DCT would soften it and I wouldn't like it, I don't like the box but the SV needs it, the more I drive the car the more I get addicted to it, the perfect scenario would be a DCT with the character of the SV single clutch in Corsa mode for example and the smooth changes of the DCT in Strada.

Do you boys realise that manufacturers can and do programme a certain amount of harshness into the gear changes of dual clutch transmissions to help differentiate the "normal" and "race" settings on their cars?
I imagine they could probably make a dual clutch box seems as God awful as the existing box if they wanted to.

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
Lexus when they developed the LFA didn't think the double-clutch transmission was realistic enough for the LFA, so they opted for the single-clutch gearbox because Lexus wanted the driver and passenger to actually feel when the car shifts.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: TBA
  • Name: Peter
Lexus when they developed the LFA didn't think the double-clutch transmission was realistic enough for the LFA, so they opted for the single-clutch gearbox because Lexus wanted the driver and passenger to actually feel when the car shifts.

So the story goes
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

It's all BS put out to justify the bean counters decision to not stump up for a decent; but hideously expensive gearbox.

Trust me, you can make a double clutch box change aggressively if you programme it that way.

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

and yet they still continue with the single clutch gearbox in their new LC500