Offline dkabab

Journos should just pax, leave the driving to professionals.

I think I've spent more time/Kim's in the passenger seat of exotics than anyone I know, except maybe ash.
I think I'd quite easily compare cars from there. Would rather be driving though

Offline Brendan

It's enough to make a grown Lambo fan cry...

Now that you are a 'ferrarista' you probably enjoy seeing a motor magazine article that rates the Aventador last. The criteria is heavily weighted with respect to track performance and whether it's a 'driver's car'.
I guess the fact that is forgotten with these types of tests and competitions is that lamborghini, and in fact, Ferrari have never ever fared well at all.
For example, Evo Magazine, which i read religiously, and respect their outcomes, articles etc have now been around for 15 years and have had 15 car of the year shootouts.
Now you would expect that a company such as Ferrari with all of their recources and technology that they derive from F1, not to mention their legend and history, would be prominent in such shootouts.
This is definately not the case, in 15 years only the 599 GTB in 2006 was given the award. Lamborghini never.
I believe that the most important thing to take away from the article that Mark has referenced is that Porsche takes the prize nearly every time.
Porsche has won 8 out of 15 car of the year contests conducted by Evo magazine and the 991 has just won the Motortrend competition.
997 GT3 RS MK 1 beat the Scuderia in 2007. 997 GT3 RS MK 2 beat 458 Italia in 2010 and the 997 GT3 RS 4.0 blitzed them all in 2011. This is just to mention recent results.
They are obviously machines that encapsulate the essence of driving.
However I doubt that anyone who has owned or does own a Ferrari or lamborghini gives a rats arse about the results of these shootouts.
I'm sure that mmh loved his lp640 at the time, i've read posts recently referring to some sensational moments in that car, but, these moments were not about split seconds on a race track etc, they are about what makes these cars desireable and special. Nothing can replace the feeling of a Lamborghini or a Ferrari but it has to be appreciated and understood what these cars are all about.
I come from a family where my father has owned a ridiculous amount of Ferrari's and lamborghini's and Porsche. He loved them all for what each specific model bought to the table and that's what counts.
A guy who owns an Lamborghini or a Ferrari or an Aston etc knowns why they bought it and that's good enough for them.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
I think I've spent more time/Kim's in the passenger seat of exotics than anyone I know, except maybe ash.
I think I'd quite easily compare cars from there. Would rather be driving though

That's the thing, whenever I've driven a car I've paxed in through some decent territory, it's not been any real surprise. I could review a car 90% the same based on a sporty pax ride vs driving it. The last factor of course is livability, but we need Lord Meltshite to school us on that.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Now that you are a 'ferrarista' you probably enjoy seeing a motor magazine article that rates the Aventador last. The criteria is heavily weighted with respect to track performance and whether it's a 'driver's car'.

I'm interested in "driver's cars" because I drive a lot, but I'm not a brand loyalist.  I would love another Lambo - I've still got the caps and T-shirts. :p

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

I would love another Lambo - I've still got the caps and T-shirts. :P
Want to get the value out of those investments.

Offline smileone96

• Drives: Black Cars
Yes, but happy to buy one?  :D
If I had the spare $ mhh, it would be my first pick, even ahead of the F12 which from most articles appears to be a way better city driver... My fiance tells me it is because I like out there & skanky over conservative & classy, which could apply equally to cars or girls ;) ....

Offline Condor Man

• Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club
  • Plastic Surgeon

• Drives: A car
The simple fact is that driving road cars on race tracks with road tyres is rubbish!

Road cars should be tested on real roads to offer subjective evaluations.

May the Horse be with you....

Offline dkabab

what is considered a good drivers car?

if you live in adelaide, you want something that isnt too wide, and very agile, porsches/lotus etc.... if you live in the USA, with big straights and the occasional bend (generalising) then the aventador might make more sense.

Offline Joel

It's always going to be personal preference. One mans trash is another mans treasure type thing.

Offline carmooch

• Name: George
I reckon if you gave 3 typical motoring journos 3 different aventadores (or any car really), you find that one of the cars would be a "lemon" and one would "a jet".

Journos should just pax, leave the driving to professionals.
This is more accurate than you might think. We had two pretty much identical Lambo's from the factory when we were in Italy. One was perfect, the other one had all sorts of problems. The dash fell out, the door handle broke, the headlights stopped working... shocking.