Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
after all the crap going on lately i'm happy to paste this from LP:
---> http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25812

(skip to the last two paragraphs if you couldn't be bothered reading)

As some of you may know I've spent the last year or so trying to get my black 6.0 out of hibernation, after all the corrective work was done (new coils, clutch, pressure plate, clutch rod, fixing things that have gone bad from sitting, etc.) I had the mechanic do all the regular service items that the car would need. I wanted every fluid in the car changed, all normal wear items changed etc. I got the car back and in two days put more miles on it than the previous four years.

All was well, I noticed that the car was pulling a little to the right so I dropped it off at the alignment shop. I get the call that the car is ready, go over and pick it up, pull out of the shop and do a U-turn when I hear a WEIRD groaning noise coming from the drive train. I thought nothing of it and continued, there was lots of traffic around the shop (thank god) so I couldn't get over 5 or 6 MPH. I get about a block away when the gear shift VIOLENTLY jumped out of first and smacked into my hand. This startled me, I was actually talking to Adam (ab) and this happened just as he told me he was buying a 512TR. I go about another block away, go through a MAJOR intersection when the car comes to a complete stop and the engine shuts off.

I now have a crowd of people looking at me, Adam is going on and on about his Ferrari and I am DUMBFOUNDED as to what just happened. I start the car, put it in gear and it shuts off again, the car didn't move an inch! At this point I tell Adam I can't talk about his Ferrari now, put the car in neutral and try to push and NOTHING! All 4 wheels are locked up and the car is stuck in the middle of the street. Imagine my situation, friday afternoon, hot as hell and stuck in the middle of a major street in a black lamborghini whose drivetrain is FROZEN! I call Prestige to send a flatbed (they have a special flatbed whose bed hinges in the middle to get under lambos), 45 minutes later we coax the car onto the flatbed. I send the car over to my mechanic who works on my lambos (wifes aston (ex), wifes Range, my mini). This guy is an old school meticulous lambo tech who knows his shit, I've never had an issue with him in the past, I leave the car and forget about it until monday. Once I go back on monday, I arrived just in time for him to get the car on the lift (not an easy task with all four wheels frozen). A visual inspection underneath shows no oil leaks whatsoever. He checks the gear oil in the front dif, no problem. He then checks the oil in the tranny, no problem. He then goes over to the rear diff, puts the tool on the drain plug and guess what? Its loose! He opens it up and THERE WAS NO GEAR LUBE IN THE REAR DIFF!

Remember I mentioned that I had all the fluids changed, apparently they forgot to refill the rear dif! It turns out what happened was that the tech he had doing the work was on his last day when the gear oils were being changed and they assumed he finished before he left, unfortunately he didn't. A quick tear down revealed that the ring, pinion, differential, and all bearings were JUNK. The bearing that the pinion rides in had gotten so hot that it had actually welded together making the drive train seize up. I was horrified since just a couple of days before I was running on the highway at over 100 MPH with my wife in the car, imagine what could have happened if the drive locked up then? You have no idea the range of emotions that I was going through, from anger, to being scared to death at the thought of all 4 wheels locking up, back to anger then sadness at the thought of what all this was going to cost me.

Here's were stepping up to the plate comes in. 3 weeks later (today) the mechanic calls me to come over to his shop, I was so upset at the whole ordeal that I didn't even bother to go back after the bad news. I go over today and find my car sitting out front, detailed and looking like new. He takes me into the office and shows me receipts for new bearings, new differential, new ring and pinion, new gear oil and the hours of labor to complete the job, shakes my hand apologizes and hands me my keys.

I was speechless. Don't get me wrong, THERE WAS NO WAY I WAS GOING TO PAY FOR ANY OF THIS! I had just expected much more hardship, more stories, delays and maybe litigation. The last thing in the world I expected was to get my car back with no hassle, detailed and with an apology!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
A clear case of negligence/faulty workmanship, and totally covered by insurance from which the repair shop quite possibly profited!

Did you know that if a RWC shop signs a car(or truck) off as RW here, when in fact it isn't, that the shop becomes liable for the repairs required?

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
A clear case of negligence/faulty workmanship, and totally covered by insurance from which the repair shop quite possibly profited!

Did you know that if a RWC shop signs a car(or truck) off as RW here, when in fact it isn't, that the shop becomes liable for the repairs required?

yes....which is why you're doing the major back pedal
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
yes....which is why you're doing the major back pedal

*sigh*

I'm not a RWC tester.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
*sigh*

I'm not a RWC tester.

ya don't say!!

so, what happens if a mechanic is instructed by an owner to get a roadworthy and that roadworthy is later found to be lacking, somewhat.

who's liable?

since the owner has no contract with the roadworthy tester, just with the mechanic, i'd say the mechanic would be liable to make good on damages (whatever they may be)

obviously, the mechanic would have a claim against the tester he used.

I love my car. Buy your own