Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I hope DKLAMBO does great and gets the car done.

It really shouldnt be that hard, no different to thousands of hot rods that have been built out there and he's in the right game to do it. He said that he started his apprenticship at 13 so im guessing he's not going to be writing novels but that doesnt mean hes not going to be great at his trade and very hard working.

One of my many exe's fathers owned a crash repair, worked hard and ended up owning 6 rental properties and a huge mansion by the time he was 50. He wasnt well educated, he was dyslexic and stuttered badly at times but he was a great guy who did very well for himself.

Like Al said, DK might pick up some knockers and some supporters, there are a few guys on here that have a lot of knowledge that could help him out along the way.
This is a pretty anti kit car forum as a rule and he's already had some support on this thread so its time for him to get stuck in, post the pics and show us what he's made of.

I think the reason that the forum is a little anti kit car is that a lot of these kit cars are pretending to be something that they are not and 95% of them are pure junk!!!
If you are going to build an ICV, it should be something individual and not a copy. Unless it is something like a GT40 or Cobra, etc.  *edit* Let's not forget the GTR as well!!! :p

Personally I have been involved in many Hot Rod builds and a number of kit car builds but most of them have been “replicas” of vehicles that are only accessible as a copy, like the Cobra.

The concerns that have been raised are all valid. Just as an example, one of the Hot Rod builds I was involved with had a man hour count of well over 3000 hours and this did not include the paint prep and paint itself. 3000 hours!!!! How much is your time worth??? At $50 an hour that’s $150000!!! And that doesn’t include the car itself and all the parts or the custom made stuff…….
My point here is that I know a lot of guys who come out and say “I did it for $xxx” but they are only fooling themselves as the cost of the car would have been far greater. As FF has said, you could be spending the time doing something else but hey, if you enjoy it, great.

The other concern that has been raised is the final spend on the car. It will cost a lot of money, and every $1 must be recorded. All that has been said is that after you have spent all this money, the final product is only going to be worth a ¼ or less of this overall spend. And all that has been suggested is that you could put yourself into a nice car for the same money. Again, if it doesn’t worry you and if this is your dream, go for it.

And one final point, I have lost count of the kit cars that I have seen with broken owners. It all starts out with big ideas and excitement but turns to shit. I would say that 80% of the builds that I know of(and there would be heaps more I am sure) are put up for sale as an unfinished project and never see the road or are just left to rot in the back of the Shed!!!

Take it from me, you are about to take a journey that will test you in ways that you never thought possible!!!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

^^ Good post, and nice that you're giving the young'uns your pickup lines as well

<snip>...Take it from me, you are about to take a journey that will test you in ways that you never thought possible!!!

C'mon, do it!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Most who set out to make a homage end up creating a parody.

Offline Staz88

• Drives: Lotus Exige
  • Name: Mark
If you do go ahead with the kit car.. for gods sake please do a better job than this guy:

http://www.imaginechina.com/showStoryDetail.ic?id=20110513_46681

A hair salon owner in Kunming, Chinas Yunnan Province was so impressed with the new Lamborghini Reventon that he decided to make one for himself. The salon owner, whose nick name is Asan, is a huge fan for Lamborghini cars. When he learned that Lamborghini launched a new sports car named Reventon which costs about 15 million RMB (US$2.3 million), he wanted to have one but couldn’t afford it. So he decided to make one for himself.

Since he has no access to the real Reventon, he bought a Reventon model on line. And then he hired three welders to transform a 1995 Nissan A31 into this sports car based on the reference of the Reventon model. All components were replicas or self-made except for a genuine Lamborghini RB25 engine. It only took the welders 12 days to make the car and the total expenditure is estimated about 90,000 yuan (US$13,851). After it is painted in car garage, the car will look just like a genuine Reventon, according to Asan, the car owner.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

If you do go ahead with the kit car.. for gods sake please do a better job than this guy:

Nar - that is fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :headbang:

In fact I would love to do something like this!!!!!!

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Nar - that is fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :headbang:

AGREED! Very death race.
C'mon, do it!

Offline lambogav

• Drives: countach replica
If anyone is chasing an mr2 motor and rear suspension al set up for a countach, i may be able to help.  I am in the process of putting an ls3 into my one, so have no use for the existing rear.

Offline angryman

this is awesome to read angryman i actually bought the only brother of this mould and i am planning to complete it as iv already spoken about in this thread are u in tassie or any of the guys that helped with the build i want to get a engineer to check it as i go and do the final sign off on completion any info u can help with would be awesome

I am in Tassie still (Youngtown)
Gary Brown - lead fabricator lives at Perth (Tassie), and is a scrutineer for Targa.
Jason George (builder) works in the mines at Roseberry
Steve Johnson (former owner) has left DK and manages an island off the qld coast....lucky bastard

Offline angryman

By the way angryman, was there a real DK lambo and a Replica? 
In this thread you will see a picture with both. The second one looks real

There was.

The replica was the first, DK and then a few years later they bought a real one.
Easy to pick the differences. The real one has a white interior, side skirts, a bonnet badge and clear front light covers.
Replica has a black interior, tinted light covers, no skirts and bonnet pins, and is made of plastic.

This is the replica:

This is the real one