Offline SiFi

• Navigator/Serial Killer

Ripped from here: http://jalopnik.com/5065896/hand+made-lamborghini-built-in-basement-finally-sees-light-of-day

Hand-Made Lamborghini Built In Basement Finally Sees Light Of Day

Seventeen years ago, Ken Imhoff watched Cannonball Run and became so enamored with the Lamborghini Countach in the film, he hand-built his own, in his basement. In what we imagine might be the most Jalopnik build ever undertaken, Ken designed and fabricated his own tig-welded frame, installed a thoroughly massaged 351 cubic inch V8 with a ZF-25 5-speed transmission, hand-formed the aluminum body over a meticulously measured and accurate body form, and finished it all off in a beautiful metallic gray. It took Ken 10 years to complete the project, and the results — as you can see both in the gallery and in the video below the jump — are amazing. There's only one problem, when you build a car in a basement — how do you get it out?

Ken went into the project fully aware of the problem of a getting the car out of his basement — it was your classic ship-in-a-bottle project problem. When the faux Lambo was complete, he actually hired a contractor to knock out a part of the basement wall, build an earthen ramp, and then drag the car out of its subterranean workshop.

Mr. Imhoff, our hats are off to you sir. You are an inspiration to us all, we want to be like you when we grow up. Considering the quality of the work here, we're fairly confident your car is actually better than factory, more reliable, better handling and faster, and you have the satisfaction of having built it yourself. Congratulations sir, you are a grease monkey superhero.

A little history on the car.
100% hand crafted Countach out of aluminum and a space tube frame. All aluminum body formed on a wooden buck using an English wheel. My own design space frame with Corvette hubs and custom A-arms. Mated to a ZF-25 5 speed. S.S. 180 degree headers GT40 design "bundle of snakes" Boss 351 bored stroked to 377 515hp 48 IDA Webbers. One off TransAm BBS rim shells to my own center section wheels. Custom brake package to fit 16" wheels. Fuel cell, twin aluminum sprint car (Howe) radiators. All aluminum interior with leather dash, Momo seats and 5 point harness, on board halon fire bottle. quick release steering wheel. Low to the ground at 2700 lbs. 100% body correct by using a real Countach to measure from. Over 10 years in the making.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
Imagine all the fun driving you'd miss out on by spending 10 years building your own. :doh:

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Wow, not your standard kit car.

All aluminum body.

But a 351 BOSS engine????  They don't exist!!!

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Thanks Ash.

Came across some photos of the project.  Even being a replica, still got to hand it to this guy, even if it is for pure self torture.   :p

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Offline wheeladdicts

I know this is really old news to you but this guy deserves a bump...i cant believe he had the patience and know how to pull that off!

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline Last_Ride

• Drives: a thing with 4 wheels
  • Name: call me habib
wooo .... great find mark ... great work
my car does 0-100 in 30 mins

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44014241@N03/

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

wooo .... great find mark ... great work

LOL  - always bringing you the very latest.  :D