Offline j15

Look at all the gorgeous models with great bodies, great hair, great looks etc.

I will take this advice.

Offline Fil-Ski

• Name: Scuderia
Great article which talks about social comparison but remember that Facebook is not the only place that results in social comparison. We can't just blame Facebook for mental health issues. Everyday when we read the newspapers, flip open magazines, turn on the TV etc. we are inevitably exposed to social comparison. Look at all the gorgeous models with great bodies, great hair, great looks etc. Look at the big houses/mansions advertised on real estate section or look at how some people are lucky enough to win the Lottery etc. Everyone has different looks, talents, skills, knowledge, wealth, circumstances etc. There is no end to comparison. Most importantly, all of us should learn how to feel good and confident about ourselves. Life is about making choices. Don't blame others for your life. Take control, take ownership yourself and ensure you lead a fulfilling life without comparing yourself to others as there is no end to comparison.

On a brighter side, Facebook has helped me re-connect with all my old friends all the way back to kindergarden, ex school teachers and even ex neighbours. One of the great advantages is that Facebook has helped me keep in touch with my family, friends and relatives over long distances as we are all located in different parts of the world. Facebook and other social media platforms have many advantages to stay connected with people you care about if you choose to see them :)

I think the issue here is that social comparison in the examples you listed above are not of people who you actually know or pretend you know. Hence the effect is probably not as significant.

If Lewis Hamilton posts up pictures of himself on the back of a yacht in Monaco with many ladies or cruising around in the latest supercar that’s not going to affect you as much as seeing your work mate doing the same thing.

Offline Kristelle

• Drives: Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, Ferrari 360 Spider, Mercedes-Benz CLS 250 Sports Coupe, Fiat 500 Sports
I think the issue here is that social comparison in the examples you listed above are not of people who you actually know or pretend you know. Hence the effect is probably not as significant.

If Lewis Hamilton posts up pictures of himself on the back of a yacht in Monaco with many ladies or cruising around in the latest supercar that’s not going to affect you as much as seeing your work mate doing the same thing.

Yes I agree that as humans we tend to compare with people we know personally. I agree with your point.
It does have a greater impact than people who are strangers.

"Work mate doing the same thing" - I used to be a banker by profession working for various International and reputable banks, when I see my work mate buying a new car, moving into a new house, getting married, giving birth to a baby, I am happy for them. I wish and hope to achieve the same. Instead of being jealous or upset, I see them as an inspiration for me to work harder and as a motivation :)

Personally, when I see someone that I know having a good life, I am happy for them.
I am envious and wish to learn how they reached success in whatever that they do.
I do not get depressed because my life fails in comparison to theirs.
Everyone has a different role to play in life. Every individual is unique in their own way.

Over the years, I have learned how to be contented with my own life and make the best of what I've got.
My life isn't perfect but I have learned how to be happy and I hope the same for everyone :)

In relation to cars (since this is a car forum) - I do not own the most expensive cars but I always thank God that at least I have a car. Many of my friends own much more expensive cars compared to me but I am still happy :)

-=*Kristelle*=-
www.sgsisters.com

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter
Yes I agree that as humans we tend to compare with people we know personally. I agree with your point.
It does have a greater impact than people who are strangers.

"Work mate doing the same thing" - I used to be a banker by profession working for various International and reputable banks, when I see my work mate buying a new car, moving into a new house, getting married, giving birth to a baby, I am happy for them. I wish and hope to achieve the same. Instead of being jealous or upset, I see them as an inspiration for me to work harder and as a motivation :)

Personally, when I see someone that I know having a good life, I am happy for them.
I am envious and wish to learn how they reached success in whatever that they do.
I do not get depressed because my life fails in comparison to theirs.
Everyone has a different role to play in life. Every individual is unique in their own way.

Over the years, I have learned how to be contented with my own life and make the best of what I've got.
My life isn't perfect but I have learned how to be happy and I hope the same for everyone :)

In relation to cars (since this is a car forum) - I do not own the most expensive cars but I always thank God that at least I have a car. Many of my friends own much more expensive cars compared to me but I am still happy :)

OMG....am I allowed to agree with everything you wrote twice in one day?

There are just some really negative people in this world who can only see the down side in everything. Obviously you and I are not that type.
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline Kristelle

• Drives: Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, Ferrari 360 Spider, Mercedes-Benz CLS 250 Sports Coupe, Fiat 500 Sports
Sing along to Monty Python's famous song - "Always look on the bright side of life" :)
-=*Kristelle*=-
www.sgsisters.com

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

OMG....am I allowed to agree with everything you wrote twice in one day?

you're just infatuated by kristelle

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Electric everything
  • Name: Peter