Offline craigbuckley

So at $150k minus 30% in neg people are picking them up for $105,000?
I had a 360 to buy at $89k a year or 2 ago but i couldnt produce the funds in time and missed out.
The prices on the gallardo seem to be holding well over the last few years and havent seemed to last long on carsales. Ive been watching them for about 2 years.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
I would be very careful about buying at these levels. If the car ends up needing major work it is no exaggeration to say that you could end up paying half as much again or more to get it right.
People forget that these 10+ year old exotics still have the repair costs of a new exotic.

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

I would be very careful about buying at these levels. If the car ends up needing major work it is no exaggeration to say that you could end up paying half as much again or more to get it right.
People forget that these 10+ year old exotics still have the repair costs of a new exotic.

Totally agree ... and don't buy unless you are seriously mechanically cluey ... or smart enough to work through the issues yourself ... or have pots of cash to throw at your new acquisition.

Having said all that ... the Diablo has been the cheapest car to maintain that I've had for the last 12 years (even the copen has cost more with various things going wrong over the years ... although not reliability issues).

Offline craigbuckley

I can rebuild a normal car engine etc so pretty mechanically minded which helps. Thats why i plan to take it into lamborghini to have them look over the things that usually go on them. I dont plan on keeping it overly long, just more fun then having money sitting in the bank.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Chief Muppet Wrangler @ Drugs.R.Us Badlands Sector

• Drives: Slowly and carefully
Totally agree ... and don't buy unless you are seriously mechanically cluey ... or smart enough to work through the issues yourself ... or have pots of cash to throw at your new acquisition.

Having said all that ... the Diablo has been the cheapest car to maintain that I've had for the last 12 years (even the copen has cost more with various things going wrong over the years ... although not reliability issues).

I hope you were "touching wood" when you said that re the Diablo.
With 12 cylinders there are a hell of a lot of very expensive Italian oily bits flying around inside that sexy engine.
There was a time not so long ago when an engine rebuild on a production V12 like a Testarossa or a Diablo would cause an economic write off of the car.

I tried not to think about it when I tracked my old F50  :eek:

Offline shack

• 300kph+ club
  • I am not here .....

I can rebuild a normal car engine etc so pretty mechanically minded which helps. Thats why i plan to take it into lamborghini to have them look over the things that usually go on them. I dont plan on keeping it overly long, just more fun then having money sitting in the bank.

ROFLOL - "I dont plan on keeping it overly long, just more fun then having money sitting in the bank.". There are far more pleasant ways to throw money against a wall than sinking it into a 10+ yo lambo.

Mate, for the money there are some VERY nice Carerra S's out there with a warranty. And - 1. you will probably get your money back and 2. it wont leave you stranded

Offline craigbuckley

Well prices are hardly moving on them and if I'm picking one up for 20k cheaper then the current cheapest on car sales i feel like I'm doing ok. Carerras are nice.. but hardly in the same league in my opinion. I appreciate all the comments though

Offline Andy@MMRT

• Dodging Coconuts

• Drives: Murcielago
So at $150k minus 30% in neg people are picking them up for $105,000?
I had a 360 to buy at $89k a year or 2 ago but i couldnt produce the funds in time and missed out.
The prices on the gallardo seem to be holding well over the last few years and havent seemed to last long on carsales. Ive been watching them for about 2 years.

Problem is once they hit that bottom mark they get picked up by people who finance within a dime of their paycheck to get it, can't maintain it, and put it up cheap for a quick sale to like minded people who probably would never comb through the service history, get a PPI, and other due diligence I'm sure you would.  It's a rather stereotyped comment, and there are exceptions to be sure, but common enough to give me a nervous twitch when thinking about picking one up. 

The Gallardo, may be heavily audi influenced, but still expensive to maintain. 

Have you thought about an 08-10 R8 V8?  The engine and transmission in that is cross platform, no import risk, still a great deal of fun, and probably won't really depreciate all that quickly.  They've been pretty solid at 120k'ish. 

Offline goober

• AE's Tame Race Driver
  • I did not lie. I was strategically misinforming u

• Drives: no friend of the left
  • Name: Buddy Miles
I hope you were "touching wood" when you said that re the Diablo.
With 12 cylinders there are a hell of a lot of very expensive Italian oily bits flying around inside that sexy engine.
There was a time not so long ago when an engine rebuild on a production V12 like a Testarossa or a Diablo would cause an economic write off of the car.

I tried not to think about it when I tracked my old F50  :eek:

10 year old Lambo would have the same issue as a 360/430 with the E gear F1 crap of magnetti marelli. Buy a Porsche, they're reliable and maintenance is cheaper than the wog stuff.
Meeting women on the Internet? Remember, the more similarities u “magically” have, & the more she agrees with u, the fucking crazier she is.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

You won't be flipping it quickly without taking a big $ hit mate.

I've had several imports and loved driving them but come sale time you will get kicked in the nuts by every buyer.
C'mon, do it!