Offline jamesatfish

As per the CEVA thread, I've just traded my 2005 Gallardo e-gear on a 2010 Valentino Balboni LP550-2, and I thought I'd share some initial impressions about the change.

Appearance
Visually the LP series cars are far more agressive than the earlier Gallardos, but as I'd fitted an LP570 bumper and carbon wing to my 05 the external appearance isn't as much of a change as it could have been.  At the back is obviously the biggest difference - the triangle configuration rear lights and quad exhausts are a much more modern appearance than on the 05.

The front however is very similar - aside from the shorter light cluster there's not too much obvious difference between the Balboni and my facelifted 05.

I do miss the big wing off the back of my old car, and am contemplating buying another one to fit to the Balboni sometime in the future.

Interior
The most obvious difference in the interior trim is the two-toned leather in the Balboni compared to the simple black-with-red-stiching of my old car.  The roof is also covered in leather rather than suede / alcantara in the 05.  Other than the potential for the white sections to be difficult to keep clean, I was a little disappointed to discover that the ash tray next to the handbrake and the cubby hole under the ignition key are both missing from the Balboni - in a car with already limited internal storage I've now got to find somewhere else for my garage and alarm remotes and eTag.

The Balboni also suffers from upside-down window switch syndrome - the buttons to operate the windows are flipped around from my old car so to put down the window you have to push up on the button.  God knows why.

On the plus side the navigation system (which has the same interface) has an upgraded and noticeably higher resolution screen, and I discovered the car has the AMI iPod interface with a mounting point for the iPod in the glove box, and this seems to work far better than the twin SD card system in the old car.

The Noise
Oh God.  The noise.

The first time I turned the key on the Balboni was when I jumped in to reverse it out of the fully enclosed car carrier.  The bark on startup and the high 'warming-up' idle were absolutely sublime with the acoustics inside the truck - instant smiles all round.

When driving you really notice the varying exhaust note - quieter at idle and gentle revs but so much sweeter and louder than the 05 when getting into the throttle above about 3000rpm.  The 05 had a fixed exhaust which sounded a little meatier at very low revs but can't match the Balboni once you're on the move.  Can't wait for my first trip to Sydney to run through the M5 tunnel.

Driving
The phrase 'chalk and cheese' is probably most appropriate here, though so far I've yet to go for a long highway / twisties drive to really test out the car so the initial comparisons are just from sub-100kph city driving.

Driving the 05 was an absolute handful at around-town speeds.  The e-gear was clunky when slowing down, jerky when taking off, required shifting to neutral when coming to a stop to prolong both clutch life and driver sanity and just generally wasn't fun below 80kph.

The Balboni is completely different - the e-gear is smooth, responsive and generally behaves like an automated transmission built this century should behave.  The deliberate 'harshness' in the gear changes is still there in Sport (haven't tried Corsa yet), but you aren't subjected to the same harshness when slowing for traffic lights or plodding through a school zone.

Offline jamesatfish

A few pics of the Balboni (as stolen from Lambo Brisbane's carsales ad as I haven't had time yet for a proper photo shoot:

Offline cel

Great car in a spectacular colour! Looking forward to some photos of it :) edit: nevermind you just posted them a second ago :P

I'm happy to take some shots when you drive it to Sydney  :melting:

Offline jamesatfish

With baby seat fitted (including the Balboni cover I had made up for my daughter):

Offline TWD

• Drives: All sorts
Nice one James!

We'll be working on an LP570-4 next week....will post up a few photos from a shoot :)

Or maybe we should get your Balboni and the Superleggera together for a combined shoot with Cel?? PM me if interested.

Offline jamesatfish

Nice one James!

We'll be working on an LP570-4 next week....will post up a few photos from a shoot :)

Or maybe we should get your Balboni and the Superleggera together for a combined shoot with Cel?? PM me if interested.

Sounds good - love to see the pics of the Superleggera and very happy to meet up somewhere in the new year for a shoot - will send you a PM.

I should also put in a good word for the Lambo Brisbane team, especially Franco who sold me the car.  I've posted elsewhere about the demise of Lambo Sydney prior to them going bankrupt and how their declining customer service left my wife and I questioning whether we'd even buy another Lambo - dealing with the Brisbane guys was an absolute pleasure and went a huge way to restoring our faith in the brand.

Offline eddievanhalen

• Drives: 2010 jaguar xkr
Congrats on an awesome purchase -  and great job on the baby seat  :D  Is that just off a regular anchor at the back?

I get some funny looks when I lift my 4yo out of the back "seats" of the XKR .  Only one seat in the country that could fit in the back due to the roof slant.....the most expensive one of course.  He's not far off growing out of it now as he approaches 5yo so presumably a regular cushion booster is the go next.

The seat was a bugger to get in and therefore it ain't coming out until the little fella grows out of it -  it means the passenger seat doesn't go back quite far enough for the missus , so she'll be looking forward to it coming out.  To this point it's been a boys only car  :eek:  :D

Offline jamesatfish

Congrats on an awesome purchase -  and great job on the baby seat  :D  Is that just off a regular anchor at the back?

I get some funny looks when I lift my 4yo out of the back "seats" of the XKR .  Only one seat in the country that could fit in the back due to the roof slant.....the most expensive one of course.  He's not far off growing out of it now as he approaches 5yo so presumably a regular cushion booster is the go next.

The seat was a bugger to get in and therefore it ain't coming out until the little fella grows out of it -  it means the passenger seat doesn't go back quite far enough for the missus , so she'll be looking forward to it coming out.  To this point it's been a boys only car  :eek:  :D

I've been attaching the back strap behind the passenger seats on the floor (from the research I did in the old car that's where the mounting points go if you get 6 point harnesses made up), but now that ISOFIX seats are becoming legal in Australia from next year I'll probably switch to that style of seat instead.

I know what you mean about the baby seat in the back of a 2+2 - we do the same thing in the 911 and it absolutely sucks being the front seat passenger when the baby seat is strapped in behind.  There's a 911 Turbo kicking around Canberra where the owner actually ripped out the front passenger's seat to make it easier to get to the child seat in the back.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Online Fil-Ski

• Drives: 993TT
I know what you mean about the baby seat in the back of a 2+2 - we do the same thing in the 911 and it absolutely sucks being the front seat passenger when the baby seat is strapped in behind.  There's a 911 Turbo kicking around Canberra where the owner actually ripped out the front passenger's seat to make it easier to get to the child seat in the back.

I know what you mean.