Offline alvchua

• Drives: Old junks
I know what you mean.

congrats to the OP on your fabulous purchase!

@ Fil-Ski - the Porsche branded baby seats fit perfectly in the seat well at the back and gives a little more leg room! The newer ones even come with Isofix though the 993 does not have Isofix fittings.

Forgiveness is easier to achieve than permission!

Offline jamesatfish

So after a month with the car and around 1500kms extra on the clock (most of those commuting from Canberra to the south coast over the Clyde mountain) I thought I'd post an update.

Unsurprisingly I'm loving the new car and very happy I made the jump.  When talking to people about my 05 I had a pretty well rehearsed list of grievances with the car - the jerkiness at low speed, the need to jump between N and 1 when crawling in traffic, the B-Double turning circle, the impossible rear view when parking etc etc - but the LP wipes away pretty much every one of those complaints.

The egear system is where the most noticeable improvements have been made.  Gone are the jerky starts, the thunks when switching from N to 1 and the head banging shudder when the box changes back to 1st when slowing through 20kph.  It almost seems sad to be excited by these things - after all your bog spec Commodore slushbox has been working that way for decades - but they really improve the everyday drivability of the car.

Corsa mode is a great addition too - the gearshifts are far more aggressively quick than Sport on the 05 and really suit the character of the car.  I haven't had a chance to try out Corsa + Thrust Mode but I'm looking forward to using a launch control system that isn't programmed to destroy the drivetrain in the process like on the 05.  In that same vein the initial pick-up from a standing start is a great improvement over the 05, where the long 1st gear (0-100kph in one gear...) and my constant fear of killing the egear system meant it never really felt all that quick off the line.

I've had a few drives in mildly wet conditions and the RWD setup isn't as scary as I initially thought.  Sure you've got to be careful in tight corners - especially where a 2nd gear boot would step out the back of the 05 even with AWD - but there's a heap of grip back there and even in the wet the car always felt stable and in control.  That said, I drove back to Canberra one morning in a 996 Carrera 2 and the way the Porsche gives you confidence in the chassis really shows how much you need to be paying attention in the Lambo when pushing hard.  Sure the old 911 has only got 300hp but even turning into a corner under brakes reminds you that the Porsche is built to get you there safely and quickly whilst the Lambo drives a fine line between arriving very quickly or backwards and on fire.

Other than the fewer storage spaces than the 05 (which is still bugging me) the only other grievance I've got is that the dash doesn't have a dedicated 'Sport' light like the 05 does, which means that the 'Sport-ESP' message is displayed at the top of the MFD instead.  I'd much prefer to be able to see the iPod / Radio information in that part of the display as intended rather than staring at the state of the ESP system for hours on end.

Next challenge is to find a free day and head up to Wakefield Park or the new Eastern Creek and see how much the car has improved on the track.

I also need to take up one of the many generous offers from the pro photographers on this forum and get some good pics taken - I had a quick go at being 'artistic' when washing a couple of the cars over Christmas but they just don't seem to turn out all that well, so will leave that job to those who know better.

Offline barra

Nice purchase James.  If your ever keen for a cotter run or a drive out to bungendore let me know.
As always in Canberra, I think we have one degree of separation... do you know Deano who used to work at the veedub place?
John

Offline jamesatfish

Nice purchase James.  If your ever keen for a cotter run or a drive out to bungendore let me know.
As always in Canberra, I think we have one degree of separation... do you know Deano who used to work at the veedub place?
John

Thanks John - yes it's certainly a small world down here.

We buy VWs for our staff at work and I've got a couple myself (the Golf R daily and a Polo track car) so know the guys at CVWC quite well, including Deano when he used to work there.  I heard he went off to do an electrical apprenticeship?

Always keen for a cotter drive - I'll drop you a PM next time I plan to head out on a Sunday.

Offline adam01

Thanks John - yes it's certainly a small world down here.

We buy VWs for our staff at work and I've got a couple myself (the Golf R daily and a Polo track car) so know the guys at CVWC quite well, including Deano when he used to work there.  I heard he went off to do an electrical apprenticeship?

Always keen for a cotter drive - I'll drop you a PM next time I plan to head out on a Sunday.

Care to comment of shift speed of the R's DSG vs the E gear?

Offline jamesatfish

Care to comment of shift speed of the R's DSG vs the E gear?

Speed of shift of the DSG in the R is vaguely similar to the egear in Corsa (at least without strapping up the PerformanceBox and measuring the times) but the means of execution is massively different.

The DSG manages quick shifts between cogs on the different clutches in an almost imperceivable manner.  There's no great fanfare - just pull the + paddle and the engine note changes a few milliseconds later to give you an indication that the change has been executed.  The gearbox, like the rest of the car, is pretty much devoid of drama and excitement - it just does what it says on the box without too much fuss.

The egear in Corsa seems to change in pretty similar times - perhaps a small fraction slower if anything but not really noticeable on the seat-of-the-pants dyno.  The difference is that without the luxury of gears on different clutches the egear performs fast changes in the same way you'd perform fast changes in a 3 pedal manual - stomp on clutch, whack gear lever into desired position, drop clutch.  That's about as far from the subtle, smooth change of the DSG as you can imagine.

The overall effect is the same - minimal time between gears hence minimal drop in acceleration during the shift - but in a way the egear 'feels' faster because of the drama of the shift.

Of course if you put the egear in Sport (or heaven forbid the 'Normal' mode) the difference in shift times is plainly obvious - the egear is far slower in either of the less aggressive shift modes.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

Offline adam01

^^^^ post #16

Txs for the prompt & concise commentary - concur on one side of the fence with your observations.  :)

(IMO DSG box is quite extraordinary in performance, versatility and value, suffers publicly for its jerky and indecisive moments.)   

Offline jamesatfish

Great looking Lambo!

Thanks - high praise from someone with such a fantastic car collection himself.  Most appreciated.

^^^^ post #16

Txs for the prompt & concise commentary - concur on one side of the fence with your observations.  :)

(IMO DSG box is quite extraordinary in performance, versatility and value, suffers publicly for its jerky and indecisive moments.)

I do agree regarding those other ailments of the DSG - the most annoying in my mind is the lag from a standing start when you want to move off quickly but haven't gone through the process of engaging launch control to do so (like, for example, wanting to drive through an intersection without being T-boned by oncoming traffic).  We've got other VWs with the same gearbox that do exactly the same thing, but those are all diesel slugboxes so the lag isn't really as obvious - they're just slow all the time.  With the R you really notice the lag because once you're moving the car does accelerate quickly (especially when tuned) so it's obvious how much time is wasted in the process of moving off the line.

The propensity of the DSG to change into 6th gear as quickly as possible and indecisiveness as to what gear to select when you accelerate from a rolling start is partly solved by the APR DSG tune and mainly solved by always driving in M using the paddles.

Once rolling however, and with shift points controlled by human rather than computer, it's a fantastic gearbox which responds quickly and changes quickly without too much fuss.