Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Today I realised that in Oct will be FOUR YEARS since I have been actively searching for a Diablo Roadster. During this time, only two have come up for sale - one was a LHD US import and the other a dodgy repainted, retrimmed, rebuilt one.

So, I decided that if I don't find one by summer, I'll buy another 355.
It has to be red/tan spider, with the tan toneau cover.
It has to be manual (I don't like the F1). It has to be '96 onwards, as I don't like the steering wheel on the '95s.
It has to be immaculate and not smoked in. Ideally 20km to 30km. Any less, it will be all dried up, any more it will be abused.

So, you reckon I'll have more chance on finding a 355 that meets all the conditions above, compared to a Diablo Roadster?  :eek:  :doh:
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
does it HAVE to be a spider....

GTS are great with all the open top benefits and still have the great lines of the coupe... without the flex and wind buffeting of the spider...

just a thought.

Online andecorp

does it HAVE to be a spider....

GTS are great with all the open top benefits and still have the great lines of the coupe... without the flex and wind buffeting of the spider...

just a thought.

I've had a GTS. I want a spider now.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
have to agree with FF, i've never seen the benefit of a spider over a targa.

granted, the 355 *is* one of the best pure convertible shapes ever created, but its hard (for me) to get over the Noddy complex... in a full-blown convertible you always look like a head sticking out of a bar of soap. 

the car itself is stunning, but nobody (except awesome straight-haired milfs with big sunglasses) look good driving it.

sure, you're a beautiful man, but sadly i don't want to see your head sticking out of a spider. :p

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

as an aside, how does a targa overcome the deficiencies of a spider?  the buffetting maybe (at over 150) but the flex?  from appearances it seems attached at the same points.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

anyhoo back to the topic, i doubt a 355 can really scratch the itch of a Diablo.  personally, i think you'll love it for a while but you'll quickly start to compare it to the previous cars - not to mention the Esprit.  355 will definitely sound a lot better, but otherwise i reckon you'll be underwhelmed.

hey, have you thought about something really outrageous like a Noble or a Radical?  both cars can be had for $120-150k, but are largely unknown here because the guys who can afford them go for more known brand cars.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
as an aside, how does a targa overcome the deficiencies of a spider?  the buffetting maybe (at over 150) but the flex?  from appearances it seems attached at the same points.

The buffetting is fixed at all speeds on GTS... most buffetting comes from behind in convertibles (hence the rear mesh/screens now seen on many rag tops). GTS has the screen there...

for strength, the GTS has stiffer sill rails and bracing near the door apertures... but it's still even flexier than the GTB... which we all know split the paint along the rear gaurds from flex already.

But, with the roof on, the GTS is stiffened considerably and drives, IMO, as well as a GTB on the road. The spider feels both heavy and soft in comparison... but still a nice drive, but not for me. Spider is not really a "drivers" car. Lovely to drive, but doesn't ask to be worked like a B or S.

Lets not forget though, that the fastest Ferrari in Australia (straight line) is a 355 spider... TT.

Online andecorp

have to agree with FF, i've never seen the benefit of a spider over a targa.

granted, the 355 *is* one of the best pure convertible shapes ever created, but its hard (for me) to get over the Noddy complex... in a full-blown convertible you always look like a head sticking out of a bar of soap. 

the car itself is stunning, but nobody (except awesome straight-haired milfs with big sunglasses) look good driving it.

sure, you're a beautiful man, but sadly i don't want to see your head sticking out of a spider. :p

pffftttt - your just jealous at my overwhelming beauty  :mischief:

Online andecorp

anyhoo back to the topic, i doubt a 355 can really scratch the itch of a Diablo.  personally, i think you'll love it for a while but you'll quickly start to compare it to the previous cars - not to mention the Esprit.  355 will definitely sound a lot better, but otherwise i reckon you'll be underwhelmed.

hey, have you thought about something really outrageous like a Noble or a Radical?  both cars can be had for $120-150k, but are largely unknown here because the guys who can afford them go for more known brand cars.

The Esprit is going nowhere. That's what I'll be driving when I want a nice fast performance drive.
The 355 spider is the most beautiful convertible ever created, in my eyes. It will be mainly used for those gorgeous warm summer evenings to take in the warmth, the sound of the car and the scenery.

The Diablo Roadster would have accomplished by itself what the 355 and the Esprit do together, but as I said - it's been 4 years already!!!

Online andecorp

Since I haven't owned one before, I don't know this - is the toneau cover attached to the roof mechanism or is it just an independant clip on part? If it's a part just by itself, then I can get a car with the black cover and just get a tan cover instead, correct? There're lots of red/tan spiders around with the black cover, so it would make the search easier.