Offline S4Simon

• The Rubber King of Adelaide

• Drives: Something a metre high
As a guesstimate...

Importing and other associated government costs (for the PI route) - about 20% of your original purchase price of the car.
I've been rich & I've been poor...

Rich is better

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
For PI that assumes you have owned the car OS for at least 2-5 years or whatever already though yeah?

Offline coco

• "sdrawkcab"

Well, don't kid yourself about a car being an "investment".  It *may* appreciate in value, but if you actually use it the $ it gains in value will likely be offset by the money you spend on it.  With this car in particular I don't know what he paid for it or what he'd sell it for, and I also have no idea what he's spent on it in the mean time but I can tell you it's not an insignificant sum.

Basically, don't buy a car expecting to make money off it unless you want to do it professionally.  Drive it, enjoy it... if you get back more than you spent then great, if not, just hope the money spent was worth the smile/mile ratio.

of course, a house is more of an investment, however the rare the car gets, the more valuable it becomes...more of a long term sort of thing, but of course, no point having one if you are not going to enjoy it.
V-12 60 degree, light-alloy block, mid mounted, rear wheel drive, Dual overhead camshafts, four valves/cylinder, 5167 cc, 455 bhp at 7000 rpm, 501 Nm (369 lbs.ft.) at 5200 rpm, 293 Km/h, ON A SESAME SEED BUN!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
of course, a house is more of an investment, however the rare the car gets, the more valuable it becomes...more of a long term sort of thing, but of course, no point having one if you are not going to enjoy it.

Well, you're talking to someone who'd rather be homeless with a Lamborghini than struggling to pay off a mortgage so probably not the best source for finance advice...

Simple rule is, don't buy anything that could cost more than it's worth unless *you* want it.

The folks I went to highschool with - they sort of understood that long before me... they partied with me until about 19-20 but then they were saving for a house and couldn't come out and have fun. :\  By 22-25 most had bought a house, and because mortgage payments were overwhelming they couldn't come out and have fun. :\  So it's nearly a decade later - a few have done very well and have several/dozens of properties - good on them!  Most are still paying off the mortgage because they keep using their "equity" to buy stuff.  I really think the "equity maaate" ads sucked a lot of people in!

Offline waz356

More information on the DOTARS site and some Q&A here.

http://search.infrastructure.gov.au/search/search.cgi?collection=Infrastructure&form=simple_infrastructure&query=import

Yes it's 30yo for LHD cars everywhere except WA and the word is that as of 30/6/08 this will stop being a rolling 30 years and freeze until 2018 when it'll become a rolling 40 years. Not good for prospective F40 owners.  :thumbsdown:

Offline coco

• "sdrawkcab"

so pretty much you have to have, as stated before, minimum 20% of purchase price set aside to get it imported and complied.

well at least i know what to deal with when the time comes.
V-12 60 degree, light-alloy block, mid mounted, rear wheel drive, Dual overhead camshafts, four valves/cylinder, 5167 cc, 455 bhp at 7000 rpm, 501 Nm (369 lbs.ft.) at 5200 rpm, 293 Km/h, ON A SESAME SEED BUN!

Offline waz356

so pretty much you have to have, as stated before, minimum 20% of purchase price set aside to get it imported and complied.

well at least i know what to deal with when the time comes.

I would allow more than that. Remember that you have to pay 10%GST on the purchase price of the vehicle as well as the cost of shipping, and there's LCT on anything over $47K (from memory) and that's before you even start on the compliance and engineering costs.

goober

I would allow more than that. Remember that you have to pay 10%GST on the purchase price of the vehicle as well as the cost of shipping, and there's LCT on anything over $47K (from memory) and that's before you even start on the compliance and engineering costs.
yup correctamundo

Offline coco

• "sdrawkcab"

so for a countach that would cost $US100k, it would end up costing around the $US150k mark all together.
taxes, fees, shipping, conversion, engineering and compliance.

would that be a fair estimate?

Offline waz356

so for a countach that would cost $US100k, it would end up costing around the $US150k mark all together.
taxes, fees, shipping, conversion, engineering and compliance.

would that be a fair estimate?

Not really. More like $150k landed with taxes, fees and shipping paid, but conversion, engineering, compliance, stampduty, registration etc. etc. still to come.

There is a reason why you dont see lots of late model converted cars on the road here.  :thumbsdown: