Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Guys thanks so much for the advice. I've heard of Rose Bay Automotive but was not sure what models they specialized in.

Yes it is the '97 Black VT that has caught my eye. I will give it some more thought before I ask to have it inspected due to the bad rap it seems to have. Does anyone know what exactly it needs to be wanting a $50K investment in its health? Is it mainly issues with the driveline...engine or suspension or is it cosmetic issues such as paint, interior, wheel refurbishment etc or a combination of the above?

Appreciate the advice guys, this is a great forum. :D

Peter
Mike Palmer - do a Google search. Also, check out the austlii database. This is the guy that borrowed money to improve his house and then refused to pay it back. His argument in court was that only gold and silver is legal tender, and since he was paid in "numbers on a computer screen", that is not legal tender so he doesn't have to pay it back  :banghead:

Paul Plazcek was his Lambo mechanic and previously for his Lotus too (after Paul McCreery banned him for bounced checks).
When the car went to Plazcek, it was not serviced in years, the viscous coupling was shot ($30k job according to Paul), head gasket on one bank was leaking, front lift shocks were shot ($10k a piece), clutch was dead, etc.

Then Mike Palmer "lost" the car over a game of cards. Newspapers seem to say otherwise (google again). It seems the car is being sold by the person that "won" the car (Mike's story) or "took" the car for money owed (according to the papers). Either way, the car is being sold from a suburb where Falcodores are prestige cars.

According to the description, it looks like the clutch was fixed by Lambo Melbourne. How much else was fixed, that's anyone's guess. If the seller has fixed PROPERLY what was wrong with the car, you'd think he would try to re-coup those costs, not sell the car SOOOOO cheap, and for such a long time.

And then, you have the cosmetics, but that's personal choice.

Best thing is to take the car to Plazcek in Braeside for a PPI and see what happens.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
Given all that whay bother paying for a PPI? Just move on to a better example.

Online andecorp

Given all that whay bother paying for a PPI? Just move on to a better example.
You have to double the price for a good example. This car is CHEAP - $115k ask.

Offline Cactipus

• Drives: Lamborghini
  • Name: Richard

I'd say that either the hand brake was either shot or is shot since in the photos there's a rock in front of the rear wheel to stop it rolling down the slope!

Offline Peter

Yep its definitely the lowest asking price Ive ever seen for a Diablo. I'll give Rose bay Automotive a call and see how much a PPI is with them, then take a look at the car and decide whether it's worth an inspection or not. The rock chocking the back wheels on the decline on the driveway is a bit of a worry!

Thanks again everyone.

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater
You have to double the price for a good example. This car is CHEAP - $115k ask.

As you know, there is no such thing as a "cheap" Lambo or Ferrari.  It is depressingly easy to sink six figures or more into bringing a dog back from the dead. The end result will be a car that cost more than you would have spent just buying a good one in the first place, and it will still have a bad provenance at the end of the project.

I saw the Countach that I made an offer on a couple of years back the other day.  The guy that paid up hasn't done the repaint and the corrosion underneath the paint has continued unabated. I think I made the right call.

Online andecorp

As you know, there is no such thing as a "cheap" Lambo or Ferrari.  It is depressingly easy to sink six figures or more into bringing a dog back from the dead. The end result will be a car that cost more than you would have spent just buying a good one in the first place, and it will still have a bad provenance at the end of the project.

Exactly. I fear this car will end up buried as whoever will buy it now will stretch to afford the purchase price and they will not be able to pay to fix any issues or to maintain it. So it will just disintegrate away over the years.

Online andecorp

I'll give Rose bay Automotive a call and see how much a PPI is with them
You are going to get a Sydney shop to do a PPI on a Melbourne car??

Online andecorp

Hmmmm... this VT might make a good donor car for a SE Jota project...  :mischief:

Offline adam01

You are going to get a Sydney shop to do a PPI on a Melbourne car??

well his post was at 4.30am  :)