Offline Tiger

But even monocoques..... They're what 70kg. They couldn't get Much lighter, and even if they did so what. 10-20kg saving?

Because they can, why not if they got the money anything is possible.
Roll on summer

Offline amgsl55

• Tooth hurty

The pressure and resin is the key, making tooling that can take rapid heat, cooling and high pressure is not cheap. Interesting times ahead in composite world, 3D printing is starting to work also.
I'll keep working with the autoclave it's still king of the hill for now.

what type of resin is used for CF applications, and what pressures, heat and time?

Offline E7ITE

The thing is, Lambo's Forged Carbon looks cheap and dirty, like water stains  :doh:

Offline Tiger

what type of resin is used for CF applications, and what pressures, heat and time?

For the Autoclve I only use epoxy pre-pregs, I mostly cure around 100/110 deg C @ 90psi + -14.7 psi in vac over 6/7 hrs ramp up/down.

Here are Some of RaceComps leg attachments used widely in the medical industry, the legs are load tested to 300kg and are hollow. One thing about Carbon you may not know is that it's radiolucent.

Permeable to all forms of radiation, such as X-rays. Radiolucent objects do not block radiation but let it pass giving a clear image perfect for CT scans.
Roll on summer

Offline TomE

But even monocoques..... They're what 70kg. They couldn't get Much lighter, and even if they did so what. 10-20kg saving?

Aluminium E Type monocoques have a 100 kg + weight saving over factory steel. CF versions would be lighter/stiffer again.
"There's too many self-Indulgent wieners in this city with too much bloody money! Now, if I was driving a 1967 275 GTB four-cam... "

Offline Tiger

Aluminium E Type monocoques have a 100 kg + weight saving over factory steel. CF versions would be lighter/stiffer again.

And you don't need to paint it.
Roll on summer

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter

Offline Tiger

You do really.

All my parts are off the mould, the only parts I paint are the ones that have decals on them like a side panel or fuel tank, I must be doing it wrong.  :doh:
Roll on summer

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
All my parts are off the mould, the only parts I paint are the ones that have decals on them like a side panel or fuel tank, I must be doing it wrong.  :doh:

Yes... Sounds like it
I love my car. Buy your own

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

For the Autoclve I only use epoxy pre-pregs, I mostly cure around 100/110 deg C @ 90psi + -14.7 psi in vac over 6/7 hrs ramp up/down.

Here are Some of RaceComps leg attachments used widely in the medical industry, the legs are load tested to 300kg and are hollow. One thing about Carbon you may not know is that it's radiolucent.

Permeable to all forms of radiation, such as X-rays. Radiolucent objects do not block radiation but let it pass giving a clear image perfect for CT scans.

Very cool. :thumbsup: