Offline app

Curse of the yellow Lamborghini

HE wasn't driving, he wasn't even in the car, but a Perth doctor says his yellow Lamborghini has taken him down the highway to hell.

Patrick Nugawela, a GP with a sole practice at Greenwood in Perth's northern suburbs, had the $200,000 car impounded after his mechanic was caught driving it at speeds up to 160km/h in a 90km/h zone in the city's east on Wednesday.

Dr Nugawela had left it in the care of the mechanic at a Malaga auto shop to be serviced.

Under Western Australia's anti-hoon laws, police can impound any car exceeding the speed limit by more than 60km/h, even if it is not the property of the driver.

In the only legal avenue open to him, Dr Nugawela applied to have the car released on hardship grounds after the driver was charged and the car was impounded on Wednesday afternoon.

He accused police of treating him like an offender when he presented himself at Mirrabooka police station, where the car was first impounded, to lodge a release application.

"I was made to wait in a small room for an hour and a half," Dr Nugawela said.

"I was only told I could go when I asked how long I was going to be there. I felt I was just being kept there unnecessarily.

"I haven't heard from the police since.

"I found out my application had been rejected from a Channel Nine reporter."

He said he had also discovered through media reports that it will cost him $900 to release his car from impoundment and that his only way to obtain general compensation would be to sue the alleged offender.

Dr Nugawela said he uses the Lamborghini as his everyday and only car and has not received a penalty point in the three years he has owned it.

He said it appeared the politics of envy were being played out in his bid to recover the luxury vehicle.

"(Police Minister) Rob Johnson confirmed it," Dr Nugawela said.

"He said if he can afford a half-million (dollar) car he can afford to hire a vehicle.

"That would be fair enough ... but I am not the offender."

Mr Johnson has not commented publicly since telling reporters on Thursday he had "some sympathy" for Dr Nugawela.

But he added: "It's a situation that he has to take up with the garage owner.

"It's not something that I'm prepared to change the law for, simply because somebody who owns a Lamborghini does not have that car for 28 days."

Police Commissioner Karl O'Callaghan, the only person entitled to permit a car to be released early, said on Friday the anti-hoon legislation did not permit him to authorise the Lamborghini's release.

Opposition Leader Eric Ripper said Mr O'Callaghan appeared to be acting on a correct interpretation of the law.

"So the responsibility comes back to the police minister," Mr Ripper said.

"Unfortunately this is a police minister who struggled through most of last year with an increasing lack of credibility on many issues."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/wacky/curse-of-the-yellow-lamborghini/story-e6frev20-1225817432599

Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
 Yet another thing that makes WA look so bad in the eyes of every one else.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline akatyk

Well, maybe police won't drive his car around during those 28 days then. In NSW, I have spoken to a person who claimed he saw his car (WRX) being driven around by the police while impounded. The person claimed that saw his car and chased after it, stopping it, only to be told by the police officer they can do whatever they want with it.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
^

Really... I'd love to see where that law is written....

Bastards.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
Well, maybe police won't drive his car around during those 28 days then. In NSW, I have spoken to a person who claimed he saw his car (WRX) being driven around by the police while impounded. The person claimed that saw his car and chased after it, stopping it, only to be told by the police officer they can do whatever they want with it.

Cell phone pix from your mate or it's all a story.
C'mon, do it!

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Cell phone pix from your mate or it's all a story.

Hey, we don't all have cell phone cameras!

My phone was $47 outright, no contract, no bills INCLUDIND $10 credit..

thinking of getting a new one... current one is 4 years old now.. can get a camera phone for $53 same deal.... hmmmm.......

Offline akatyk

Notice how I have modified my post to 'claimed'. It is a story he said and it wasn't a mate. The story was heard during a skylines cruise when everyone was having pizza. We were just having a whinging session on different matters, so don't see a reason for lying. Nevertheless, no proof to support his claims existed.

There was also a girl behind the table that worked for a company that 'serviced' the police cars. She stated that, having the workshop and impound yard at the same place, this did indeed happen.

Fiction or truth, your guess is as good as mine.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Maybe we need an 'i'm about to spew some unsubstantiated shit' emoticon for the forum.

Would be useful.
C'mon, do it!

Offline app

supposing you did get photographic evidence of a cop driving a car while impounded, could an owner do anything?

show it to the commissioner, go to the police minister, sue the police?

or can they really get away with it (personal feelings of certain police put aside)?!

Offline cel

Maybe we need an 'i'm about to spew some unsubstantiated shit' emoticon for the forum.

Would be useful.