Offline akatyk

Police minister won't sue the police. He is an unrelated party. He can only launch an investigation.

Offline akatyk

Maybe we need an 'i'm about to spew some unsubstantiated shit' emoticon for the forum.

Would be useful.

Wow, sorry for my comment. You seem really touched by it. Didn't want to ruin your day.

Offline app

Police minister won't sue the police. He is an unrelated party. He can only launch an investigation.

i was talking about what an owner can do. ie can he go to the commissioner, can he go to the police minister, can he sue the police etc?

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/wacky/curse-of-the-yellow-lamborghini/story-e6frev20-1225817432599

As many of you guys know i am in the GPS tracking business.

We had a customer leave his car at an independent repairer (panel shop).
The customer was worried and hence we were asked to "geofence" the car at the repairer.

The system would send him an email when it left the repairer.

He got online and tracked the car doing speeds in excess of 140kph in suburban streets.
He confronted the repairer and the insurance company 

and

got an apology.

:scratchchin:
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline akatyk

i was talking about what an owner can do. ie can he go to the commissioner, can he go to the police minister, can he sue the police etc?

No, unfortunately I don't think so. It is because the Police Minister is unrelated to the incident. The only relief he could, if he was able to, claim is an injunctive relief from police doing the same actions again. Unless there is something in legislation, I have doubts that he does have powers to bring cases to court on behalf of other people.

Essentially, what a person should argue if there are reasonably prospects of success is that the police have went beyond their powers and claim compensation. Torts law would get intermingled in here too. Would be one expensive case to prepare. All the police minister would be doing is arguing the same case on behalf of yourself. Anyone with deep pockets to set precedent by running a test case?

Offline 98octane

No, unfortunately I don't think so. It is because the Police Minister is unrelated to the incident. The only relief he could, if he was able to, claim is an injunctive relief from police doing the same actions again. Unless there is something in legislation, I have doubts that he does have powers to bring cases to court on behalf of other people.

Essentially, what a person should argue if there are reasonably prospects of success is that the police have went beyond their powers and claim compensation. Torts law would get intermingled in here too. Would be one expensive case to prepare. All the police minister would be doing is arguing the same case on behalf of yourself. Anyone with deep pockets to set precedent by running a test case?

It's all pretty hypothetical.  You'd only bother pursuing something like this if your car was damaged whilst impounded and repair cost/loss of value was very expensive.  But this would get a lot of press coverage and the police might be inclined to pay out to save face.

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
It's all pretty hypothetical.  You'd only bother pursuing something like this if your car was damaged whilst impounded and repair cost/loss of value was very expensive.  But this would get a lot of press coverage and the police might be inclined to pay out to save face.

Yes... and all based on the story that police belt around in impounded cars. Which still sounds like BS.
C'mon, do it!

Offline deangpsx8

• I Am Legend
  • I am legend in my own lunchbox

• Drives: Everyone Crazy
  • Name: Dean
  • www: Intellitrac.com.au
yep too much accountability, and chain of responsibility if this was happening.

The police minister would lose their job  as would the commissioner
Persistence Beats Resistance

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Just paint/wrap your own car up like a Cop car, and go nuts!

Of course, that might not be legal  :tilt: