Offline futurism

• Drives: Porsche 911 996 GT3
  • Name: David
Breaking news

Lamborghini impounded under 'hoon laws'

A PERTH doctor is unable to recover his $200,000 Lamborghini after it was seized by police who caught his mechanic driving it at speeds up to 70km/h over the limit.
The mechanic was allegedly clocked driving the luxury vehicle at more than 160km/h in a 90km/h zone in Perth's east yesterday.

The doctor who owned the car had left it in the care of the garage where the mechanic worked.

Under Western Australia's anti-hoon laws, police can impound any car exceeding the speed limit by more than 60km/h, even if it is not the property of the driver.

Despite an application by the car's owner, the 2006 yellow Lamborghini Gallardo will be impounded for 28 days in line with the state's hoon legislation.

Police said they had not released the car early because the strict criteria of the anti-hoon laws did not permit it, unless the WA police commissioner gave special dispensation.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
Police Minister Rob Johnson said he sympathised with the owner but that the law acted as a strong deterrent to hoons.

"I have some sympathy for him but it's a situation that he has to take up with the garage owner,'' Mr Johnson said today.

"It's not something that I'm prepared to change the law for, simply because somebody who owns a Lamborghini does not have that car for 28 days.''

WA police Assistant Commissioner for Judicial Services Wayne Gregson said there was nothing police could do because "our hands are tied''.

He said the police commissioner was the only person entitled to allow a car to be released early.

The Lamborghini's owner did not have extraordinary circumstances which met the criteria for the car's early release.

"We try to be fair, without favours, so whether it's a Lamborghini or whether its a Kingswood or a Holden Commodore, we judge it fair, case by case,'' Mr Gregson said.

"This case did not meet the grounds of an extraordinary hardship.''

A 53-year-old man has been charged with being a hoon in a client's car.

It is the second incident involving the seizure of a luxury car to come to media attention in WA in the past six months.

In July, Australian Financial Review motoring writer Rod Easdown was clocked driving a $470,000 Ferrari at 231km/h on a country road near the wheatbelt town of Toodyay.

He was fined $1900, ordered to pay $114 in court costs and lost his licence for six months for driving the Ferrari at more than double the 110km/h limit.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/lamborghini-impounded-under-hoon-laws/story-e6frfku0-1225817107787

Offline j15

"I have some sympathy for him but it's a situation that he has to take up with the garage owner,'' Mr Johnson said today.

"It's not something that I'm prepared to change the law for, simply because somebody who owns a Lamborghini does not have that car for 28 days.''

WA police Assistant Commissioner for Judicial Services Wayne Gregson said there was nothing police could do because "our hands are tied''.

He said the police commissioner was the only person entitled to allow a car to be released early.

The Lamborghini's owner did not have extraordinary circumstances which met the criteria for the car's early release.

"We try to be fair, without favours, so whether it's a Lamborghini or whether its a Kingswood or a Holden Commodore, we judge it fair, case by case,'' Mr Gregson said.

Can't believe theres no facility in the legislation to return a car when the owner had nothing to do with the commission of an offence. Classic case of political kneejerk overlegislation.  :doh: :faint:

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
Can't believe theres no facility in the legislation to return a car when the owner had nothing to do with the commission of an offence. Classic case of political kneejerk overlegislation.  :doh: :faint:

agreed.

the criminal should be the one that suffers the loss of his vehicle, not the car owner.

The driver should have his own car confiscated. The Lambo should be given back, unless of course there is some damage/investigation to be done.

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
just for clarificatin, I'm happy to admit I'm dumber  :thumbsup:

edit...

awwww, now I'm REALLY double dumb.... where's Romulus?

Offline SPEEDCORE

• Forum Virus
  • Product Not Yet Rated

Offline joukowski

I wonder was the mechanic was?

my mechanic crashed my lotus elise in the first week of dec 2009, I hope to get the car back on the road by March....
:(

Offline app

agreed.

the criminal should be the one that suffers the loss of his vehicle, not the car owner.

The driver should have his own car confiscated. The Lambo should be given back, unless of course there is some damage/investigation to be done.

i agree with this :thumbsup: hoon should have his own car taken away. laws are meant to be about deterring people from committing crimes. how does this law do that if someone else gets punished for what he did?

secondly, an owner should be able to take their car to a mechanic and to trust them to do the right thing with their car. under this legislation, there is nothing to protect the owner from the mechanic doing the wrong thing.

so basically under this legislation, the car owner suffers from some idiot mechanic hooning in their car because there is nothing to discourage them from doing it AND the legislation not protecting them as a consumer

another classic case of where justice fails....again

Offline Laminator

Classic case of political kneejerk overlegislation.  :doh: :faint:

+1

Now, if that isn't the biggest load of bullshit ever...  :doh:

Offline Richie

• What's next?

• Drives: my wife crazy
my source has given me some photos of the impounded car... but it has a VIC plate on it though... I will post some pics later when I get to work... and yes.. it is an yellow one...

cheers,

richie

Offline cel

They showed a yellow WA Gallardo on the news with i think dolce vita plates