Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Lamborghini manufacturer Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A has recorded worldwide growth in sales despite current financial and economic hard times. Global sales in 2008 increased 1% over the year 2007 from 2406 to 2430 units. Although Lamborghini's biggest world market the US saw a decline of 20.3% representing 741 units sold instead of 930 units in 2007, other markets stepped up to offset that decline.

The strongest rate of growth was recorded in the Middle Eastern and Far Eastern Asian regions. The Middle East saw a shipment of 166 new units compared to 100 units for 2007, an increase of 66%. China went from 28 in 2007 to a massive 72 units while the entire Middle Eastern and Far Asian world market share increased from 15% to 21.8%.

Lamborghini's home market Italy also had a good year which catapulted it to second in the world after the US. The Italians snatched 230 Lamborghinis which is a 10% increase. France upped their sales by 27% while Germany and the UK were relatively modest in their growth.

The one-new-model-a-year tradition that Lamborghini has recently adopted has been credited as the biggest contributor to these growth rates at this time. Other contributing factors include flexible working hours agreed to with the unions and a much improved brand image.

Lamborghini President and CEO Stephan Winkelmann said: "In the light of worldwide economic insecurities and sluggish car markets, this new record year above all proves the sustainability of our business strategy. We know that there are tough times ahead now, but we have increased the value and attractiveness of our luxury brand in so many facets that we are ready to take on whatever challenges the future might bring us".

Offline dkabab

makes it sound more like a shift in wealth than an economic crisis.

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com
Been sitting on articles like this for a while now.

So much is said, but more is unsaid, or reported poorly...

One part of this particular version that pops out is this subdued footnote:

The one-new-model-a-year tradition that Lamborghini has recently adopted has been credited as the biggest contributor to these growth rates at this time. Other contributing factors include flexible working hours agreed to with the unions and a much improved brand image.

I can only go by what I read in my travels online and occasional chats with local folk in the know but Lamborghini "factory workers" hate building the Gallardo as a necessary evil.  Allegedly it's basically an IKEA car for them - they recieve a bunch of bits from AUDI with instructions on how to make A go into B so C can be inserted into D.

Considering the Murcielago is very much a re-skinned Diablo - a lot of that car is still "created" in-house - but with all the good bits that come with VAG control.

Anyhoo - point was I heard some time ago that morale was at an all time low pretty much diametrically opposed to production.

Consider this - it's not Holden or Mitsubishi, not many who helps builds one can afford one - so when you take away the part that gives it the "spirit", the motivation might just dip a little.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I can only go by what I read in my travels online and occasional chats with local folk in the know but Lamborghini "factory workers" hate building the Gallardo as a necessary evil.  Allegedly it's basically an IKEA car for them - they recieve a bunch of bits from AUDI with instructions on how to make A go into B so C can be inserted into D.

lol, at least you didn't call it a "Kit car"    :?

Offline dkabab

Consider this - it's not Holden or Mitsubishi, not many who helps builds one can afford one - so when you take away the part that gives it the "spirit", the motivation might just dip a little.

wheres the passion.....

Offline B2

• Slowest Ferrari Owner

That's a very good point Ash.

Shame about the comments on the Gallardo.  I really like that car and think is better looking and sounding than any Ferrari on the market ATM.  The colour of MHH's old car that have recently been posted is my favourite.

Offline dkabab

how many companies still manufacture their cars... obviously parts will be outsourced, but i mean engines, chassis, body etc.. major components

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

The Gallardo (SE) will forever be one of my favourites, but I'll never shake what I've heard.

As touched on in the previous post - pretty much all the guys who work out at Elizabeth putting together Holden Commodores can afford to take one home and really admire what they've helped create.

Think about the guys who help put Lamborghinis on the road... Do you really think they pay enough to the average Lamborghini SPA employee that he's able to take one home on salary sacrifice to enjoy?  Do you think they love seeing them picked up like nothing by dumb-arse rap artists and used as simple props or pranged regularly by overpaid football players?

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

how many companies still manufacture their cars... obviously parts will be outsourced, but i mean engines, chassis, body etc.. major components

Ages ago I found a fantastic website which had a great cross-reference for all the marques/cars which shared chassis/parts/engines/etc - it really made me realise there's no point having any empty pride in almost any particular car coming from a certain culture after 1990ish.

Sadly I don't remember where it is, so here's the Ash's Notes: 90% of production cars share 70% of componentry.

Something like that. :p

Offline dkabab

The Gallardo (SE) will forever be one of my favourites, but I'll never shake what I've heard.

As touched on in the previous post - pretty much all the guys who work out at Elizabeth putting together Holden Commodores can afford to take one home and really admire what they've helped create.

Think about the guys who help put Lamborghinis on the road... Do you really think they pay enough to the average Lamborghini SPA employee that he's able to take one home on salary sacrifice to enjoy?  Do you think they love seeing them picked up like nothing by dumb-arse rap artists and used as simple props or pranged regularly by overpaid football players?

sure they cant take them home, but im sure they have a lot of pride in creating a legend. the whole assembly thing sucks, but it keeps them in a job.
i remember when i went to the factory, they have a window from the gallery into the factory, it did look like a mass production line of gallardos. didnt see any murcis being built.
and as for who buys them, lambo have always been the pinnup car for "Badass" rockstars, celebrities...... boxers