Offline j15

Just further proof that judges are not in touch with society.

Thats taking it out of context a bit, she's obviously just not a car person and hence doesn't see the value. My mum would say and has said the same thing about expensive cars and she's pretty in touch with society.

Offline flamestone

• Geekographer

• Drives: to and from everywhere
  • Name: Shane
  • www: Flamestone.com
she's obviously just not a car person and hence doesn't see the value

It has nothing to do with that.  It's just a matter of general awareness that some vehicles do cost that much.  You don't need to be a car person to believe that there are cars of that value for sale in the real world.

Offline j15

It has nothing to do with that.  It's just a matter of general awareness that some vehicles do cost that much.  You don't need to be a car person to believe that there are cars of that value for sale in the real world.

I think she does know and what she is expressing disbelief that a car can cost that much. I didn't say she didn't have awareness, I said she just doesn't see the point

Offline app

I think she does know and what she is expressing disbelief that a car can cost that much. I didn't say she didn't have awareness, I said she just doesn't see the point

still that's an opinion, does it have any bearing on the case?

Offline j15

Offline jim501

• Idiot Seeking Village

• Name: Cam
Nah I reckon she knows that cars are that expensive but just can't believe they are trying to get that much for the car!

Offline AshSimmonds

• Geekitecht

• Drives: GF's shitbox :(
  • Name: Humble Narrator
  • www: AshSimmonds.com

Offline Mario

• Name: Polish Doctor
is there such thing as a magistrate that is in touch with society?  :doh:

+1  :doh:

Offline modulareRS4

Stupid magistrate should be aware of LCT and duties that drive normal prices overseas to ridiculous prices here.

Its not that cars should cost that much its a fact that this country doesnt want people having nice things unless they get raped first through their wallet so they can flush it down the toilet.

She is totally detached and should know better given its her responsibilty as a judge to know basic facts in all facets of life since she is ruling over court cases that could include anything in life.

Even if you didnt know - do some homework - 5 minutes on the net and get educated instead of sounding like a retard

Just sums up the pathetics systems of Australia

Offline Paulstar

They were just raising money for charity guys! It's okay...

http://www.smh.com.au/national/finks-gang-of-three-a-mateship-for-charity-court-told-20100804-11ds2.html

Finks gang of three a 'mateship' for charity, court told
August 4, 2010 - 3:13PM

A Finks bikie charged with the armed robbery of a $400,000 Lamborghini after an alleged demand for cash has described the bike gang as a "mateship" that raises money for charity.

The quietly spoken, heavily tattooed Richard Michail, of Port Melbourne, testified in the Victorian Supreme Court today in his bid for bail on a charge of armed robbery and other counts.

He and co-accused Matthew Ward allegedly demanded $50,000 from Srecko Lorbek and threatened him with a gun at the Lorbek Luxury Cars dealership at Port Melbourne in May.

When their cash demands were not met, they stole the Lamborghini. It was later recovered in a nearby street.

During the incident, Mr Lorbek was allegedly placed into a headlock and his face was pushed into a car, the court was told.

He was treated for a neck sprain and abrasions to his arm.

The court heard Mr Lorbek and his employee were under threat not to call police.

Mr Lorbek also received threats by someone claiming to act on Michail's behalf, leading to Michail's bail being revoked a day after he was charged.

The court heard Michail was a sergeant-at-arms of the Finks in Melbourne, which had three members including himself.

Senior Constable Ramon Garay said people in that role typically had a criminal background of assault related offences, extortion and firearms.

"I believe it is an enforcement role within the club," he said.

But under oath, Michail claimed he was merely a club spokesman.

"There's nothing illegal about the Finks, it's a mateship," he said.

When it was put to him the Finks were widely known as a national organised crime group, he said: "I disagree totally".

"It's a get-together with the boys, that's it. And friends," he said.

Michail, who is on a disability pension, said he puts at least $20 a week towards the club's $30,000 shed rental and lived rent-free in a house funded by his brother's Queensland business.

He was also paid $1,000 a week as an employee of his brother's business.

When Justice Paul Coghlan described his financial affairs as "mysterious", Michail said he declared his earnings and his job was an honest one.

"There's nothing suss about it," he said.

He agreed to stay away from witnesses if bailed.

But the prosecution opposed bail, saying there was an unacceptable risk Michail would reoffend and there were concerns for his alleged victim's welfare, as he had already been threatened twice.

Defence barrister Robert Richter QC said his client had a history of complying with court orders and he needed to care for his wife, who was unwell.

He also needed treatment for Crohn's disease.

He said Michail's brother would offer a Queensland property as surety.

Michail faces five charges including armed robbery.

Justice Coghlan will deliver his bail ruling on Friday.

AAP