since
the
last
one
didn't

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

How do you fry the clutch in an egear?

I believe "fry" is a technical term but you can wear one out with light feathering of the throttle instead of assertively engaging the clutch on take-off.

Offline ckbag

I hear the term feathering quite often. how slow would you have to be pressing the accelerator/releasing the clutch to be considered feathering?? I find that if I release the clutch too fast you dont get a smooth transition... mind you I am driving a Getz so might be different on a sports car??

Offline Ferrari Fissatore

• Soap Dodger

• Drives: its obsession
egears and early version F1 easily fry clutches...

The throttle pedal controls the clutch, and exactly as mhh said, it's all in the engagement... you need to be assertive generally, not timid and soft like in an auto... but you also need the adjustment to be correct.

Offline mhh

• Chief Test Pilot

mind you I am driving a Getz so might be different on a sports car??

Er yes.  The Getz is different to a sports car. I don't think you can do much damage to the clutch due to the absence of power and torque. ;)

We are talking e-gear here, not manual too.  You are supposed to use the throttle emphatically, not tentatively as some do, to promote quick engagement.  FF will be along soon to answer this properly.  His opinions are always correct. :D

• Soap Dodger

FF will be along soon to answer this properly.  His opinions are always correct. :D

Come on, get it right... my FACTS are always correct...... Opinions I throw away!

Some Getz can be sporty!

Mine is...

Offline ckbag

Er yes.  The Getz is different to a sports car. I don't think you can do much damage to the clutch due to the absence of power and torque. ;)

We are talking e-gear here, not manual too.  You are supposed to use the throttle emphatically, not tentatively as some do, to promote quick engagement.  FF will be along soon to answer this properly.  His opinions are always correct. :D

so getting a smooth transition isnt necessarily a good thing or do i need to learn to make a smooth transition while letting go of the clutch faster?? I am thinking about getting a manual sports car for my next upgrade but kinda unsure whether i am using the manual correctly atm :P

and FF the 1.6 must be dramatic improvement over the 1.4 cause i am getting sick of mine lol

Offline allanuber

• Name: Al
How do you fry the clutch in an egear?

Single long reverse up an incline will do it.

Ask the Valet at Star City how many times they've reversed out accompanied by a smoke show...
C'mon, do it!

• Soap Dodger

and FF the 1.6 must be dramatic improvement over the 1.4 cause i am getting sick of mine lol

I hate the 1.4/rentals, utterly different car. Gutless and wheezy and noisy.

I tried to tell ya!

ALWAYS shop at the top of the tree, in EVERYTHING you do.

Offline sinkman

Listen to Phil (FerrariFixer) and go to either himself or Paul Placzek. You want it done right. End of the epistle.