Offline Ruskee

Interesting questions.
A potential nightmare for any car seller.
When I test drive a car  I drive like my mum. I don't give it humpty until I've had the car for a few weeks!

Offline scud

• 300kph+ club
  • Rocket man

so what happens in this case???

does the guy driving have to buy it?
does the guy driving effectively do a runner and leave a massive mess for this guy to tidy up.

would the insurance cover this?

does the owner have to chance the guy in court?
sh1t fight looms

no

probably not but says sorry a lot

will try hard not too but will probably have to

when all else fails everyone goes legal and there are only 2 winners, but never the buyer or the seller

Offline Richie

• I need Lambo drugs...

• Drives: my wife crazy
I thought it was the seller doing the "demonstration" when it happened?

I would most likely have a owner-only-driver policy and which owner would be dumb enough to let a stranger drives it? If that's the case, too bad for the seller... If it was a multi-drivers policy, then the person that crashed the car would be responsible, for the excess cost, the the seller got a payout...

Offline TJB

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
This one was crashed (write off) a few weeks ago in Melbourne:
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I thought it was the seller doing the "demonstration" when it happened?

I would most likely have a owner-only-driver policy and which owner would be dumb enough to let a stranger drives it? If that's the case, too bad for the seller... If it was a multi-drivers policy, then the person that crashed the car would be responsible, for the excess cost, the the seller got a payout...

I just read the UK article that TJB posted saying the owner was driving.... I couldnt read the one from the Adelaide paper as I had reached my limit on their site when it was posted. Sounds like he was doing his best Tokyo drift impression but failed..

The guy who was supposed to be buying the car has the longest hair Ive seen on a guy since the 1970's.

By the look of the damage it looks like the orange car would be quite repairable. If you were the owner you'd have to say your foot got wedged on the side of the accelerator peddle and take some blame for the "accident" rather than hit them with an "I dont know what happened," story.

Offline Neru

This one was crashed (write off) a few weeks ago in Melbourne:

I used to see this car all the time around the city, i thought the body kit was terrible

Offline TJB

I used to see this car all the time around the city, i thought the body kit was terrible
Was it a real LP640 or did it just look like one?

Offline 360c

• 300kph+ club
  • Drug Dealer

• Drives: Purple People Eater

By the look of the damage it looks like the orange car would be quite repairable. If you were the owner you'd have to say your foot got wedged on the side of the accelerator peddle and take some blame for the "accident" rather than hit them with an "I dont know what happened," story.

I suspect there is a lot more damage to the chassis than shows in photos. Have a look at the size of the tree stump it hit and realise that there was enough force to uproot it and the sewerage pipe buried under the ground.
I reckon the chassis rail in the impact area would be bent like a pretzel.

Offline E7ITE

Was it a real LP640 or did it just look like one?

I believe that car was originally from Singapore.  Non-LP640, it has a Premier 4509 kit on it as well as upgraded LP640 rear lights.