Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
I suspect there is a lot more damage to the chassis than shows in photos. Have a look at the size of the tree stump it hit and realise that there was enough force to uproot it and the sewerage pipe buried under the ground.
I reckon the chassis rail in the impact area would be bent like a pretzel.
The reason I'm thinking it could be repairable from the insurance companies point of view could be that its insured for $200k and the repair might work out to be $120-150k. The insurance company would be looking at repairing it rather than pay him out.

There's been a few wrecked lately, there might be spares out there that make it possible or it could be twisted and everything broken underneath. It in the hands of the insurance gods now.

Offline Aircon

• Master Baiter 300kph+ club
  • Who said it couldn't be done?

• Drives: Pork
  • Name: Peter
The reason I'm thinking it could be repairable from the insurance companies point of view could be that its insured for $200k and the repair might work out to be $120-150k. The insurance company would be looking at repairing it rather than pay him out.

There's been a few wrecked lately, there might be spares out there that make it possible or it could be twisted and everything broken underneath. It in the hands of the insurance gods now.

Depends on what it's worth as a wreck.

Doesn't take much for an insurer to decide to write it off, pay it out and sell the wreck at auction, where someone will always overpay for it.

I love my car. Buy your own

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

Depends on what it's worth as a wreck.

Doesn't take much for an insurer to decide to write it off, pay it out and sell the wreck at auction, where someone will always overpay for it.

I'm sure the owner has got his fingers crossed for that to happen, depending what it's insured for. With a few recent crashes there might have been some sales that they can get an idea of what it will go for. A crash repair business will want to do a top job and charge appropriately for it so I guess its most likely that the insurance quotes will mean that its written off.

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

• Drives: Diablo 6.0
Had a good look at those pics ... that's a complete mess ... front is twisted up on the right and down on the left ... the front splitter is buggered and cracked in two places.  The right rear 3/4 in front of the wheel is fully collapsed and squashed in, the right rear behind the wheel is destroyed, the rear left looks like the only corner untouched until you look closely.

I reckon that's a write-off through and through.  The interior might be worth something? 

BenC ... when that came over to La Montage, did you notice if it was a manual or eGear?

Wonder what year it is and how many of the parts are re-usable on a 6.0 ... I'm thinking spares like gearbox, brakes, etc...

Offline PA

• One man comedy gala

The buyer said a low price and the seller said it's insured for more than that. The buyer said you would be better off crashing it to claim the payout. Turns out the buyer was correct.

Disclaimer (This story is complete bull shit.)

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

The buyer said a low price and the seller said it's insured for more than that. The buyer said you would be better off crashing it to claim the payout. Turns out the buyer was correct.

^^^  :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason

LOL Do you think they read the story on the 20 yr old that set fire to the 458 before saying that?

Online andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park 300kph+ club
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
Was it a real LP640 or did it just look like one?
Singapore import, early car, yellow paint underneath (shit paint job). Bucket of puss overall.
You make something idiotproof, they'll make a better idiot.

Offline Andy@MMRT

• Drives: Murcielago
Happy for all the sh!t ones to get written off...more parts to keep my good one schmick. 

Speaking of which, I need one of those brackets for the cooling vents...

Offline diabloinoz

• 300kph+ club

Happy for all the sh!t ones to get written off...more parts to keep my good one schmick. 

Speaking of which, I need one of those brackets for the cooling vents...
Talking of which ... did do you find out where the cars go when they are retired .... for spares?!