Offline anotherforumuser

• AE's voice of reason
  • Choose to take risks or settle for ordinary.

• Drives: A red car.
No WAY, Not even close.

I'm sure the bigger (16"?) are nicer to drive on and give better tyre choices, but that original look is SO MUCH COOLER...

Maybe just painting the Simmons Gold would help though???? Either with or without polished outer rims???

Yep, you could order the Simmons in gold when they came out and would have been a much better choice.

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
There you go. This car seemed to be a plum in the ad, so much that I regreted missing out on it.
Well, it's in my warehouse now. Plainly, it's shit. It needs $15k-$20k in mechanicals. Even the radiator fans don't spin!
Cosmetically, it needs new paint (gel coat craked, paint beyond salvage) and new interior (leather shrunk and ripped, stinks of mold, etc).
So you are looking at roughly $50k to make it decent.

Offline JPS02

There you go. This car seemed to be a plum in the ad, so much that I regreted missing out on it.
Well, it's in my warehouse now. Plainly, it's shit. It needs $15k-$20k in mechanicals. Even the radiator fans don't spin!
Cosmetically, it needs new paint (gel coat craked, paint beyond salvage) and new interior (leather shrunk and ripped, stinks of mold, etc).
So you are looking at roughly $50k to make it decent.

hmmm, all up I'll spend about 4.5k on parts / Paul's time (brakes were completely screwed - that was the main issue.  Fans and other mechanicals were no big deal at all).  That will cover 99% of what needs doing, and then it's apparently, according to Paul, one of the smoothest S2's around.  Paint is perhaps more of an issue; recommendation is to do a full re-paint.  If I'm keen, perhaps 9k.  So total 13.5k. Partial paint may look somewhat crap, but would be heaps cheaper.

I'm not worried about the leather. There's no rips on the actual leather at all (some seams need re-stitched / glued) and I think it just needs some care.  Haven't noticed the smell you mentioned, as yet.

The seller was a bit of a prick about this, no doubt, but I think I 'almost' got what I paid for.  I will post a full 'result of buying an S2 sight unseen' thread at some point, as there are some learnings.  There's an element in that of calling out the ... poor information provided as well.

Remember, this car was fallow for 16 years.

I'm new to this, so just my perspective.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

I have seen the JPS in person.    :)

There is a bit of damage to that RH quarter panel that's going to need some TLC.

$9k maybe a little lean for a paint job......

Offline JPS02

$9k maybe a little lean for a paint job......

Thanks...Just waiting for the quote - what do you think is reasonable? Including the decals

Offline andecorp

• Biggest daddy in the park
  • No idea how to make her happy!

• Drives: too many cars for one ass
The seller was a bit of a prick about this, no doubt, but I think I 'almost' got what I paid for.  I will post a full 'result of buying an S2 sight unseen' thread at some point, as there are some learnings.  There's an element in that of calling out the ... poor information provided as well.
You are way too polite about the selling dealer. He sold you an undrivable car with a "roadworthy". Send him the bill for all the work that was required to get the roadworthy, and if he argues it, you have the contract to take to the higher authorities.

The leather is beyond salvage. The reason why the seams are undone is because the leather shrunk so much. The moldy smell is from the carpets. They are not expensive to change.

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

Have you been back lately to have a look at your car???

My Pearl Yellow S4s is there at the moment. The paint on that was $6k cost price including materials("my" paint shop did it).

So in reality it would have been around the $12k mark. 

Offline mondi

• Resident Bogan

You are way too polite about the selling dealer. He sold you an undrivable car with a "roadworthy". Send him the bill for all the work that was required to get the roadworthy, and if he argues it, you have the contract to take to the higher authorities.

I believe that when it comes down to it, there is a "Contract" between the buyer and the seller. If the product is not as described then the Seller is in "breach of contract". I have used this argument before with positive results...

Offline JPS02

Have you been back lately to have a look at your car???

My Pearl Yellow S4s is there at the moment. The paint on that was $6k cost price including materials("my" paint shop did it).

So in reality it would have been around the $12k mark.

yeah, of course, most weekends.  ok, thanks gives me a better sense of price.

Offline JPS02

I believe that when it comes down to it, there is a "Contract" between the buyer and the seller. If the product is not as described then the Seller is in "breach of contract". I have used this argument before with positive results...

He never supplied the roadworthy, despite all requests, and all of the promises were verbal... I don't know.  Not sure I can make a full case.  The written description on the ad was pretty light on.  what do you think?